What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New nepenthes arrived today... repotting questions

I just recieved 4 new Neps today:

N. rafflesiana (from PFT)
N. ventricosa (from PFT)
N. bicalcarata (from Black Jungle)
N. ampullaria (from Black Jungle)

The first three are small plants in 3" round pots; the N. ampullaria is a more established plant.

They were outside, and quite hot when I arrived home and got them inside.

I got them in my growth chamber and watered them. They don't look like they suffered in transit from the heat, but it may take a while to see effects of that.

My question is: I'd like to repot the smaller Nepenthes into larger pots. Should i do that now, or wait for them to get over any shock from shipping?

My second question is: What kind of growth conditions can N. ampullaria tolerate? Should I keep it in my growth hood, or can I keep it in the house, subject to normal AC levels of humidity, like my N. coccinea and N. miranda?

How big is the N.bical i was looking at them on there site last night. Are they pretty nice?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drew Mcclain @ Mar. 31 2005,12:32)]How big is the N.bical i was looking at them on there site last night. Are they pretty nice?
indeed,

oh yea, Scott, pics or ban....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drew Mcclain @ Mar. 31 2005,12:32)]How big is the N.bical i was looking at them on there site last night. Are they pretty nice?
The N. bicalcarata is small. It is in a 3" pot, and the leaves are, perhaps 3-4" long. The pitchers are perhaps 1.5" long.

Great questions about repotting, Scott.  I have been wondering the same thing about my Nepenthes ventricosa lately, which seems to be the same size as yours.  I want it to acclimatize to my conditions before I attempt to repot, but now, after having it for only a week, it is already producing new growth and the old pitcher tendrils (the ones it already had) are elongating considerably.  Maybe this is a sign that I can go ahead and repot?

Corey

i'd go ahead and repot and not wait for it to aclimize, because it'll go through stress when repotting anyway.

it's like adding live rock AFTER you cycle an aquarium. the rock will just make it cycle agian.

Sometimes when I repot my neps, if the media looks pretty good, I just carefully remove the whole thing from the pot, including the media, and put it into the new pot. This way the roots are undisturbed and generally they plants don't even slow down for me.

However, I always wait for a full pitcher or two to form and open before I repot my new plants. Don't know if it's necessary or not.

Capslock

Back