What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaf curl

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
what is "leaf curl" i read it online.

bump.

i really want to know because my ventricosa has a curly leaf, and my conditions are perfect. it's puzzling.

I'm not sure what would 'cause that in a ventricosa. But in my experience with lowlanders its caused by periodical drops in humidity, especially at night. Maybe you may want to check to see what your humidity is over the night.

generally leaf curl is when your humidity isn't stable or is too dry. Pests can also cause deformations that look curly.

Joe

ohhh i see.

humidity is above 80% untill the lights go off. it drops to above 40% then 30 minutes later it's about 72-75%

it's only on my ventricosa. i have about 3 leaves on the plant ( maybe 50 leaves?) in no particular order.

a couple of times the humidifier ran out and it was a day or two before i noticed.

could that cause it? why only ventricosa?

What do you mean by leaf curl?

Leaves can roll under from the tip. Or from the edges. Moisture stress causes them to roll from the edges. In severe cases the two edges might meet underneath the leaf. Giving the leaf the appearance of a straw. As noted, this can be caused purely by moisture stress. Either a sudden drop in humidity for a plant unaccustomed to it and/or too warm temperatures so that water is not replaced into the leaf fast enough to meet transpiration rates. Or perhaps not enough moisture at the roots, rotted roots preventing the uptake of sufficient moisture, insect damage sucking the moisture out of the underside of the leaf..

Basically just about anything where the leaf has experienced water loss faster than it can replace it. If it's only on a few leaves then probably nothing to worry about. Although I suspect your not really seeing true leaf curl from moisture stress if it is so few leaves and all the rest look healthy.

Tony

the edges don't curl, the whole leaf curles.

like a normal leaf will be pretty much straight, but these few curl like hair

I know nothing about leaf curl. Just wanted to say welcome back, Tony!

I recently had mites on a N. fusca of mine which caused leaves to develop smaller than normal and with the whole leaf curling downwards and sometimes towards the stem. Not only leaves with mites on them but any new leaves on plants affected by mites will experience this. Check the leaves (even the apparently unaffected ones) for brownish undersides and mite husks. If this is the problem, use an aracnicide.

-D. Lybrand

That has happened to me in the first leaves after taking cuttings including the grow point. It may be shock related.

no mites.

i guess it's no big deal. just gotta remember to keep the humidifier full!

thanks everyone

Back