What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. sibuyanensis pitchering?

Hi
Although my N. sibuyanensis is pitchering quite well, it still needs the tendrils and pitcher tip to be supported by compost. Any tendrils hanging over the pot in mid air either are very small or more often don't do anything.
I would put this down to the species but have seen examples of large plants developing marvellous pitchers which are not suppported. Is it possible the species becomes more adapted as it matures or is there some other reason for this?

I want to try one of mine in a hanging basket but don't want to just end up with a pot full of dried up tendrils
smile_m_32.gif

cheers

bill

I would presume that the humidity is very high around the developing pitcher when it is partially buried/sitting on wet potting mix. I have had them develop just fine while dangling in the air. I guess there is enough of a microclimate change, they don't appreciate, that is preventing them from forming to their full extent in this situation for you. I can't say for certain but would figure humidity would be the most likely culprit.

Oh oops didn't answer your other question. No I don't believe it is age or maturity. I have had all various sizes pitcher over the sides of the pot without problem.

I will add that N. sibuyanensis pitchers kind of sporadically though. Sometimes they just skip a leaf or two for me for whatever reason.

Tony

AHH nice post Bill,i was wondering the same thing sometimes it produces a great pitcher then it dosent bother no matter what you do to it.So its just a picky plant then really?
I have noticed that if the bud is in contact with wet moss or some kind of damp media that the chances of a nice pitcher are higher.So its not me then just the plants traits??
Bye for now Julian

Yes I guess thats it Tony. I do tend to grow my Neps under quite "hard" conditions so humidity is certainly less than it might be. I may well repot my biggest plant into a very wide water lily basket as that certainly helped my rajah.

Currently the only Nep I have that still steadfastly refuses to pitcher whatsoever is BE Species 2! Nice leaves though
smile_m_32.gif

cheers

bill

BE sp.2 (Sumatra) is notorious for not pitchering in low humidity, in fact, if the humidity is kept too for too long it may even die. If the humidity is very high, however, it is a fast grower and easy pitcherer.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SydneyNeps @ April 04 2005,6:11)]BE sp.2 (Sumatra) is notorious for not pitchering in low humidity, in fact, if the humidity is kept too for too long it may even die. If the humidity is very high, however, it is a fast grower and easy pitcherer.
I grow mine with my villosa. hamata, rajah etc in my closed off area which is far more humid than the rest of the house. It is indeed fast growing and vining now. But no pitchers develop and the leaves are stressed looking with curled edges. And now today I see the growing tip just emerged is black and shrivelled!!
It looked a little like this last year at the close of winter, before perking up during the summer months. No pitchers though.
Its actually getting too big for the area its in and I am considering cutting it back. But without any basal growth that could be risky
smile_k_ani_32.gif

But if nothing else develops what have I got to lose?

cheers

bill

Back