What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just fed my n. merriliana a tasty treat

I was sitting outside enjoying the nicer weather and I notice a mosquito on my foot sucking away. Instead of smashing I let it finish its dasterly deed then promptly snatched and carried it to my grow chamber to meet its doom in my newest N. merriliana pitcher. But I'm not sure if it actaully sucked my blood because it wasn't any fatter...

Huh, how big is that merilliana? I wouldn't think a mosquito would be too appetizing. But hey! People eat tiny fish eggs and take minute sips of wine. Why not Nepenthes?

-D. Lybrand

this mosquito was huge a good 2" not including all the legs and wings.

The meril is making 7" pitchers....:D

I don't think that is a mosquito... sounds more like a crane fly to me. They look exactly like a mosquito except minus the probiscis. They are actually a natural predator of mosquitoes. This would explain why it didn't get fatter after "preying" upon you.

-D. Lybrand

hmm well those must bite as well because i have a bite mark on my foot....

Could be the crane fly had just eaten a mosquito that was biting you? Mysterious...

-D. Lybrand

no because crane flies don't eat mosquitoes LOL

Crane flys don't even eat period! They live for a few days, mate and die. Adults have been known to hang around flowers though.

That's just strange. How do they get that large so fast?

On topic: Yeah, i fed a crane fly to my N. X Ventrata a few days ago, it loved it.

So I guess it was a mutagenic foot biting insect that is also a doppleganger....

Crane flies do indeed eat, and are carnivorous. I admit I was wrong and they do not eat mosquitoes, but if you visit this link, you will find that NepG was wrong:

Crane Flies

And by the way, AlphaWolf, next time you point out someone's error, don't "laugh". I find that very offensive.

-D. Lybrand

Back