What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My ventricosa is dying!

Someone please help me. As some of you know, I've had my ventricosa in my vivarium with firebellied toads for a long time. It's been in standing water, but seemed to like it. I mean, it was making leaves and everything seemed ok. I just noticed today that 3 of its leaves have turned black, and one is moldy. Plus, the "healthy" leaves are limp and wimpy. Can I still salvage my plant? I wanted it to pitcher soon, but I don't think it will until it grows new leaves, if it does at all. I need help!

Pics would greatly help in the diagnosis. As a rule, Nepenthes DO NOT like any standing water. Whatever 'cide' it takes to get rid ofthe mold, use it. Many leaves will turn black over time, without seeing a pic first i can't tell you whether to worry or not. I have had leaves turn limp when i under watered my plants.

Again, pics will greatly help.

Maybe the toads have something to do with it. They are poisonous to humans you know.

Sound like it might be root rot.
When the roots rot it can not take water up and the leaves will get limp like the are wanting water.

If the growing tip is still green, cut it off and try to grow it as a cutting. I'd definitely agree that your ventricosa has root rot, and is dying. Black leaves, particularly when they come in rapid succession, are an extremely bad sign.

Hamish

Back