What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First nepenthes.....a success so far.

My first attempt at growing a Nepenthes has been a success so far.  I bought this a little over 2 months ago from a local nursery.  It has since nearly doubled in size and has nice healthy looking new growth that is nice and green with no spotting or yellowing.  The plant is in a West facing window and recieves about 4-5 hours of direct sun and the rest indirect light.  It is growing in a 6 inch hanging basket in pure cocoa peat.  I water every other day to every third day.  The temps are around 75 in the day and 65 at night with very low humidity 40 to 45%.  I feed it the occasional cricket or rollie Pollie and splement that with 2 or 3 Beta fish pellets every 3 weeks or so.  allthough it has grown alot, it has not produced a new crop of pitchers and has about 2/3 of the pitchers remaining from the crop it had when I bought it.  I'm hoping this is just an acclimation period and will start on a new crop soon.  Are there any things you expert Nep. growers would recommend that I'm not doing?

The first picture is of the entire plant with a 24 inch tape measure to give the idea of the size. (it has two growth points)

The second picture is of the new growth on one growth point.  Over 12 inches and several new leaves in 2 months.  

the third picture is of the other growth point with nearly 12 inches of new growth and several new leaves.  

I wanted to try an easy Nep. first and then possibly move on to some "Showier" or more difficult plants once I have the requirements down.

JJ

newgrowth1.jpg

newgrowth2.jpg

newgrowth3.jpg

Back