What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highland nep bog outside

Well I constructed a highland Nep "bog" outside today. I used a clear sterlite "under-bed" container. So it's 6 inches or so tall, 4 feet long and 2 feet wide. I put all my highlanders in there. The Nep potitng mix I am using is half long fibered sphagnum half 1 part sand to 1 part sphagnum peat moss. I will let you know how this works out. Oh I will only have it outside for summer. It gets approximatly the same amount fo sun per day but west instead of east. I grew these Neps on the poarch but got tired of watering and feeding so hence this experiment. I have:
N. lowii
N. ventracosa 'red'
N. ventracosa
N. alata 'striped'
N. alata 'pink'
N. 'miranda'
N. coccienica 'degroot clone' (sp?)
N. fusca
N. vieillardi 'yellow pitcher' (in debate)
as well as about 4 more.

I think it will help cut down on the bug population.

whatever thing I have grows as a highlander/intermediate and is fine. Fairly happy I think. It keeps getting bigger.

N. vieillardi is in some question, I think. Its supposed to be a more warm growing species, but some like Tre, report success in highland culture. Maybe some clones more tolerant of temperature differences than others are.

Vieillardii can be found at various elevations on New Caledonia, but certainly not high enough to be classified in the intermediate/highland category. However, I think New Caleddonia's climate isn't as intense as some equatorial regions as it is quite a way south of most Nepenthes habitats (I think at the same sort of latitude as Townsville??).

Oh, you know it's not nice to tell us all about your new nep paradice and NOT POST A PICTURE!!
mad.gif
mad.gif

smile_m_32.gif

Seriously though, I would really like to see what it looks like. Sounds awesome!

Unfortunatly I don't have a ditgital camera. I will try to get one or I might be able to scan the pictures.

Back