What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. x briggsiana var. 'peter d'amato

Hey guys here's my Peter D'Amato that i got from California Carnivores since i have been growing it. The plant has made two pitchers under my care take a look! Please leave comments thanks! =D

x 'Peter D'Amato

OMG! You bought Peter?!

Whoa, nice plant. I saw one for sale while i was there, but it cost WAY too much. It was over 200 dollars for a 6" plant. I'm guessing because it was because it was named after the owner.

Very nice! I can`t wait till I get my lowii from Jeremiah.Something to feed the excess chiucken S**t too!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It was over 200 dollars for a 6" plant
WOW ! ! that is more amazing than the beautiful plant I just pictures of!
Nice plant, good growing Drew

Thanks guys! Frank i got my Peter for 200$ since i'm good friends with Peter. But still the same a good price? Ahaha no! but i love this plant so its making up for the coast.

yeah, that usually happens with me. I just wish some of them will do it faster.
biggrin.gif

hurry up and propogate it so we can get one at a lower price
smile_m_32.gif
Seriously though, beautiful plant. I believe it is a new hybrid/cultivar hence the high price.

Nice!! By the way who named that plant, or who registered it as a cultivar?

That's really nice, Drew. It's really a worthwhile cultivar. As it gains size it will get even more spectacular. We would love to have one too, but afraid our summer heat might be too much for it, and would not want to experiment with such a valuable plant.
Peter gets a fair price for it. It's a matter of supply and demand.

Hi Drew
Id like to see some more photos of this one if there going?fantastic looking plant
smile.gif

Bye for now julian

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trent @ April 21 2005,9:10)]That's really nice, Drew. It's really a worthwhile cultivar. As it gains size it will get even more spectacular. We would love to have one too, but afraid our summer heat might be too much for it, and would not want to experiment with such a valuable plant.
Peter gets a fair price for it. It's a matter of supply and demand.
That's just it. Some may see this as a ridiculous price, but there are not many out there, and if Drew has no problem paying $200 for it, what is the big deal?
For any on the cp list serve who remembered recently, when Brooks Garcia offered mature divisions of S. 'Leah Wilkerson' for $75, and some people ripped into him for being a pirate. Beyond my personal price range at this time, but if I was a big Sarracenia nut(I would be if I had better growing conditions), and funds were not a problem, I would not have thought twice about taking him up on that offer.
Boy I went off topic a little.
Um....Great Plant Drew!
Whew! Great recovery.

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BobZ @ April 21 2005,12:47)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason_In_CO @ April 20 2005,9:43)]who registered it as a cultivar?
Apparently, the name is not officially registered with IRA as a cultivar. See
http://www.omnisterra.com/bot....rch=all
Bob,
Is there an advantage to not registering it?
Also, is the cross itself 'briggsiana', or a particular clone of that cross between N. lowii and N. ventricosa?

Cheers,

Joe

Bob is right. I don't think there is a description of the 'P.D.' cultivar anywhere in 'The Savage Garden'. Even the name, briggsiana, is not accepted by the Registration Authority. The psedo-scientific names only apply to the old Victorian hybrids before the Cultivar system was internationally accepted. Same goes for some of our favorite Florida hybrids, like Splendiana, Redlanderi, Madisonii, etc.; not valid names in the eyes of horticultural nomenclature. BUT...these names are commonly used amongst cp'ers. The reason why is simple. Example: If I say to you, "I have anamensis by maxima for trade"...its a fairly broad statement, and probably raises more questions concerning the plant. If I say, "I have Splendiana for trade."- then you know exactly what I'm talking about. It's Clyde and Bruce's hybrid of kampotiana by maxima. (I used anamensis instead of kampotiana, because they are supposed synonyms, with anamensis being the correct name-something we're not convinced of, but that's another story).
To call Drew's plant N. briggsiana 'Peter D'Amato' is to use orchid hybrid nomenclature-reserved only for orchids. The correct name would be simply N. 'Peter D'Amato', according to International Registration standards.
It would be an easy plant to register, and someone should do it other than Peter.

Isn't there a pic of it in "SG" with a mention of it? Or am I going mad?
Yes, somebody should register it, especially with that price tag.

Cheers,

Joe

Even tho some may find -200$ for a hybird nepenthes unreal or ridiculous, But its the simply fact i've wanted this plant for many years and since i first saw this plant in Peter's book i had to have it. I dont think money came to mine when i had the change to obtain this hybird. But like i already said yes i do think 200$ is unreal but i think in the end it will be worth the coast to me that is.

-Drew

N. x briggsiana var. 'peter d'amato' is mentioned in the SG, a very short description, but it's mention, it's on page 275 and here's the quote:

" One variety, named N.x 'Peter D'amato' by Bill Baumgartl, has smaller pitchers solidly blood red.

Edit: Is it 'peter d'amato' or 'Peter D'amato'?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drew Mcclain @ April 21 2005,8:14)]Even tho some may find -200$ for a hybird nepenthes unreal or ridiculous, But its the simply fact i've wanted this plant for many years and since i first saw this plant in Peter's book i had to have it. I dont think money came to mine when i had the change to obtain this hybird. But like i already said yes i do think 200$ is unreal but i think in the end it will be worth the coast to me that is.

-Drew
Drew,
I don't think you need to defend yourself. It is an excellent plant and hopefully you will be able tp propagate it down the road.

Cheers,

Joe

Not at all. I dont think i'm trying to defend myself, I've just been told by many other growers that this plant was a wast of money so i think i'm just saying how i feel about it and that i wanted to grow it for such a long time and that i'm just really happy to have it now. =)

Back