What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Showering nepenthes?

Sometimes Nepenthes can take showers too!
smile_n_32.gif
Photos!

Weird......jejeje. Why'd you do that in the first place? o_O
Did they stink? X_X

Ahaha no i grow these nepenthes on window sills so this is how i water them so i dont get water all over my floors.

Hye Drew , Nice plants , so you water them that way ? But isn't the water from the shower tap ? I see you have some neps flowering , I would like some male pollen if you have any specimens .

OMG! TAP WATER! ATTEMPTED MURDER IN PROGRESS, CALL 911!
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

No i dont use tap water. Its just easy to let the plants dran that way.

Makes perfect sense. You are quite logical, sir.
What's the red-leafed plant with maxima like pitchers with bright red peristome?

Cheers,

Joe

Very nice x Miranda u got there, Drew.

Nice to see it doing very well.

I must be mad, but is the one on the left a n. klossi?
confused.gif

Good Shower!!

...whats wrong with tap water? Does it kills them?

well tap water has harmful particles that can harm the plants root system

Well thats nonsense! I've been watering my plants with the water that comes right out of my hose and nothing ever happened. o_O

[b said:
Quote[/b] (eplants02 @ April 21 2005,12:31)]well tap water has harmful particles that can harm the plants root system
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well thats nonsense! I've been watering my plants with the water that comes right out of my hose and nothing ever happened. o_O
Both of you are correct, depending on where you live. Some of us are fortunate to live in areas where the tap water is low in dissolved minerals and we can use it on our plants. There are many folks using expensive water when their tap water is just fine. I have been using tap water for decades.

Others are not so fortunate. The tap water in many areas is quite mineral laden and those poor souls must used rain, deionized, or distilled water.

Nepenthes are generally tolerant of all tapwaters. The level of minerals in tapwater is not harmful to nepenthes species.

The danger is that repeated use of tapwater builds up minerals in the pot over time. These minerals precipitate out and build up on the roots, stifling the small hairs on them, and killing them. If you use tapwater, repot yearly or flush through with rainwater/DI water every now and then to wash the minerals out.

If you use a compost based on live sphagnum moss, do not use tapwater ever. The minerals will rapidly lead to the death of the moss and its subsequent decomposition, and the suffocating of the nep roots in it.

Hope that all makes sense. Just remember, for Nepenthes, tapwater is not the demon it is for most other CPs. I have a suspicion that - as is common for highland plants - the neps from high elevations will be more susceptible to the effects of minerals in water, but I don't know this.

Cheers.

Griffin the plant you see in my photo with redish leaves is a typical x Miranda. That just get bright color on one of my window's.

You know you're addicted to Nepenthes when you water them in your bathtub!
smile_n_32.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

Back