What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey, I just ordered the starter set from Petflytrap.com, and when the nepenthes arrived, the leaves are nice and green, but the pitchers have turned crinkley brown. I removed the dead pitchers, and now the plant is just leaves in a pot, with pitcherless tendrils. Will pitchers grow again on the ends of those tendrils, or will it have to make new leaves for pitchers? Also, how long will it probably take? I have it growing in a terrarium with good humidity and sunlight.

On the website, it said that it was N. ventricosa, but the biggest shriveled pitcher had remnants of wing ladders running up the front of it. To my knowledge, ventricosa doesn't have this. I think it may have been substituted for an alata, ventrata, or x judith finn, but I'm not sure, because there aren't any new pitchers to compare.

Hi Mannex,

Leaves will have to regrow and then you'll see pitchers once the plant becomes acclimated to its environment. Once a pitcher dies, its dead. The leaf (actually the petiole) will remain green for a longer time and continue to photsynthesize. N. ventricosa can have wings on a small seedling, but as it ages it outgrows them, it could be a subsitute, but time will tell what it is once it settles in.

Cheers!

Hey Mannex17
Ah, the pitcher from the cut tendril idea. This was the first thing about Nepenthes I was told when thinking about buying one (in a plant market in Mexico City). Turned out I had already done my homework on CP before even encountering them. Anyway no, they won't grow back from there, and it will indeed have to make new "leaves" with tendrils for a pitcher to form.

N. ventricosa can display wings on some of the earlier pitchers, and even older pitchers can have a few pointy hairs just under the peristome. As to how long it will take for a new pitcher to develop all depends on the conditions. On average I'd say just under a month for N. ventricosa.

Good luck and have fun!

Amori

Back