What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

End of truncata in t.c.?

schloaty

Staff member
I just read on an e-bay auction that truncata will no longer be T.C.-ed in the US. Is this true, or just a way to get some one to bid higher?

Well, Agristarts used to have it on their list, and they no longer do, so if they are the only source, then I would not doubt it.

Cheers,

Joe

I would see lowland truncata not being in TC as an issue, in fact I'd see it as a positive. TC is good for plants with limited availability, where you need to produce large numbers of plants quickly. The downside is it produces thousand of identical plants with little or no genetic variability, depending on the number of clones in culture. Lowland truncata is so common that seed is flowing out of most peoples ear's (like ventricosa and maxima seed).

Hamish

Agristarts has indeed discontinued N. truncata, along with S. purpurea venosa. They are the primary wholesale supplier of these species in the USA.

I see this as a VERY VERY VERY good thing. I think when certain plants are "overly" available some people fail to realize that planst greatness.

Some people have too much nep seed? If so I will take it. I hope to figure out how to germinate it. I think I know how (after doing mucho research) now but as they say Third times the charm. And this should be true as it took till my third Nep to figureout how to grow them.

makeway to something better!

N. rajah maybe
smile_n_32.gif

Tre, germinating Nepenthes seed is absolutely dead simple. Keeping it alive during its first year is the hard part ... (says he who has 25 out of 75 aristo seedlings after one year...).

Using traditional seed sowing methods, a high attrition rate is normal. With some grexes, you may end up with only a dozen or so plants that make it to a size larger than a tea cup saucer Raising seed 'in vitro' definitely increases the number of survivors, especially if the seedlings(plantlets) are replated onto fresh agar at the right times.

If only I had the time, space and money for in vitro cultivation... If I did, it would probably cause even more problems - I have enough problems finding space for seedlings once they need to be potted up (especially with species with very high survival rates), having even more survive into adulthood would drive me out of my house
smile_m_32.gif

Agristarts has a long line of discontinued plants, including the truncata. They used to produce most of the merrillianas that were available a few years back, from material they got from John de Kanel. They also did gracilis for a while, as well as Sarracenia leuco Titan (for Botanique), red tube flavas, Nepenthes ampullaria... When plants don't sell as well as expected, they discontinue. I agree with the theory that this is better for the genetics of the plants in general, for those who propagate, but let's not forget one of the underlying benefits of tissue culture. It helps alleviate some of the poaching that takes place in the wild. If a minor amount of culturing fulfills our needs, then we're less likely to buy plants from someone pulling the plants from the jungles. There are othern TCers in Malaysia, but the plant will most likely be a bit more difficult to get. Some of the better known retailers of the plant here in the U.S. already list the plant as "discontinued" or 'Not available'.

I "think" the reason N. truncata was not as succesful as some of the ones they have now, is they charged $5 for one, where N. ventricosa was only $1.25 each(I think you had to order two flats of plants minimum/ order and there were 72 cells in a flat). To us, these prices are really cheap, but it must have made a big impact to the wholesalers.
At a recent orchid show that had cp, I saw the current Agristart Nepenthes selections for $7-$15 ea., while the N. truncata were $40.00(they had 10 inch pitchers, BTW).
Why did Leco Titan or red flavas not sell so well, I wonder?

Cheers,

Joe

The red tube flava had problems adjusting from flask to greenhouse, as well as other tc problems. Apparently, S. flava is not an easy plant to get up to size when tc'ed. As for the 'Titan', I don't know. We find them to be a vigorous clone.
Most of Agristarts Neps come from John. The merriliana clone grown up is the plant pictured on our website. It has beautiful strawberry pink pitchers. I asked John if he knew which clone it was (John often has as many as 50 different clones of any one species), and he told me he didn't know. If any of you have a merrilliana from Agristarts, you got a beauty!

how do you tell if you have a merrilliana from Agristarts? I have a huge merilliana that got from Tony, and its making pitchers galore.

Check the plant label Jess, I think, think not know, that most of Tonys N. merrilliana plants are from Wistuba or Rob.

I'm not sure what the Agristarts truncata was like, but i've noticed that there are a lot of inferior lowland truncata clones around. If Agristarts is one of those, we're better off without it.

Drat, i don't think i got the purdy merilliana.
smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]there are a lot of inferior lowland truncata clones around.
I was going to order a truncata from Tony Parobek's site. Do you know where he gets his stock from? I would hate to get one of those inferior clones.

Well except for Drosera and Sarr seed Third time's the charm seems to work well. I did not get the Nep seed to germinate my first two tries but I heard from various people that the seed was dead anyway. My pings on the other hand (lusitanica) sprouted the first two times but died off. My P. sharpii has had nearly 100% germination and suvival rate so far. Unfortuanatly my 20th batch of Sarrs (the oreo's go figure) got boyatris (sp?) but I think I may have saved two plantlets. I bet once I get the proper set up done I will be able to germinate.

Back