What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grafting nepenthes

Has anyone tried grafting Nepenthes?  Or is that just a dumb question?  It would be interesting to see different kinds of pitchers on one plant.  And maybe a slow grower grafted on to a fast grower will grow faster.

Yep it's been done. Thanks for reminding me I mean to do so (to try). I think it was done by the Pietropaleos (sp?) so checkout their book. At least thats who I thin did it. Correct me if I am wrong though. It is not popular but has been done to several species. Maybe it was on of Gordon Cheer's books. Anyway It was done on fast species root stalks and slow growers tops. I would like to do one that is hamata and bical even though those are different growth areas.

you'd have to give the hamata portion highland conditions, and the bical portion lowland conditions.

Yeah I know hence different growth areas.

hence you'd have a very hard time doing it. you'd need a dual chamber ..chamber. when you gut the bottom plant new shoots would form and stay in the bottom chamber, anyway.

Yes. So it would be virtually impossible. But I would like to graft some highlanders together.

Thanks for the information that it's possible to graft Nepenthes.  Regarding grafting highlanders and lowlanders together, there's a possibility that the entire plant would acquire the cultural requirements of the root plant.  It would be an interesting experiment.

no, it wouldn't because half (or whatever ratio) of the plant tissue. would be highland, half would be lowland.

but, for example, you get get away with a lowland species and a ventricosa or something similar that's highland but tolerates lowland conditions, or visca versa, without having to great each section in a seperate environment.

Could you have the lower pitchers of one species, and the uppers of another? This would be a really interesting experiment if anyone is willing to do it.

I think Cliff Dodd down in South Florida did it years ago.
Somewhere this is a paper on it..

Cheers,

Joe

You're right Joe. It was Cliff. He grafted rafflesiana...maybe it was two different clones. I remember him talking about grafting a rafflesiana onto a Mixta rootstock at Bob McMorris's barbeque years ago...either he had just succeeded or was trying it. I don't think you can graft just anything to anything, there are certain parameters to what will work.

Also you can't graft woodly pieces.

why? they graft trees?

I don't know but that's what I read. Something about a sealing agent?

I'd guess it would be possible to graft a highland species to a lowland species depending on the species. Some are much more tolerable than others...N. truncata is an example of a lowlander that is pretty tolerant of cooler conditions...grafting truncata with an intermediate highlander may be possible. Once I have a greenhouse it is something I'd like to experiment with.

Steve

other then its just cool, whats the purpose of grafting, space saving? two plants in the space of one?

thanks
Chris

Two reasons....."Cha" and "Ching"

Back