What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raffesiana pics!

Just sharing some pics of my Rafflesiana. Lowlander, now about 4-5 years old. The difference between the uppers and lowers is one very interesting trait in this plant which I like, another thing about this plant I love is its peristome!
http://n-rafflesiana.mypicgallery.com/
Got some questions also, this Rafflesiana is the normal type. I just bought a Bau Giant variation from Malesiana several weeks back. Would like to know somethings. Fristly, is it true the pitchers can really get up to 40cm? Malesiana says that in its description but I really find it hard to believe! Also , What factors are most important in bringing out max size of the pitcher? I know more light helps does it? And depriving the soil of nuitrients, does that help? Previously, I tried to get as large a lower pitcher as possible but as you can see from the photo, didnt acheive much! So, for the next 3?4?5?orso years, will be challenging myself to grow as large a pitcher as possible for my new raff giant.
Hope you enjoyed the pics.!!

Hi Lam
Lovely photos.I do like Raff and the difference between upper and lower is nice prefer uppers though.i have the giant white
form,not really a giant at the mo but time will tell.
 Bye for now  julian

Very nice.
Mine has a ways to go before it will produce uppers for me. I too like the difference between the 2.

Wait a tick, you say your rafflesiana is 4-5 years old huh? How can you keep up with the stem? My raff is 2 years old and she is TALL and I'm afraid of cutting her down. So what did u do?

I see this image of the giant form on ebay frequently:

c3_1_b.JPG

I'm sure it's way above average. Judging from the naturalness of the shadows I don't think it's doctored so far.

wow i never knew that they had a big difference like that well i never grew one

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andenes @ April 30 2005,4:42)]Wait a tick, you say your rafflesiana is 4-5 years old huh? How can you keep up with the stem? My raff is 2 years old and she is TALL and I'm afraid of cutting her down. So what did u do?
Hi, oh yes, once the plant begins producing uppers, the stem does climb quite a bit. dont have a full pic of my plant but for me I live in 2-storey terrace house so I let my plant climb up a 3-metre long stick, and when it out climbs that, I hang ropes from the second level down so that it can pull itself up...and yes, i forgot ot mention, I'm from Singapore and I consider myself very lucky to have all the natural conditions for growing Lowlanders available here!

and, endparenthesis , sorry I didnt really catch the meaning of this sentence:
"Judging from the naturalness of the shadows I don't think it's doctored so far."
but that pitcher sure is large!

So, does anyone have info about Upping pitcher size?

lam

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lam_wn @ May 01 2005,4:01)]and, endparenthesis , sorry I didnt really catch the meaning of this sentence:
"Judging from the naturalness of the shadows I don't think it's doctored so far."
but that pitcher sure is large!
I meant I didn't think the picture had been digitally faked (a small pitcher enlarged and inserted into the photo). The lighting matches, the shadows look right, etc.

Wow, those are beautiful pitchers! Will you please post one of the whole 2-storey plant?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Endparenthesis:

From what i understand, that's Rob Cantley, and i'm pretty sure the image is available on his website somewhere, and has been around for a long, long time. So i don't think it's been doctored.

Of course, i might be completely wrong in that, and i'm sure someone will correct me.

I also love my rafflesianas, but unfortunately they don't do all that well once they outgrow the terrarium here. Slow growth and steady pitchering, but reduced pitchers. However, it does better than ampullaria on my windowsill.
smile_n_32.gif

I like rafflesiana to bad I traded mine because it did not like highland/intermdiate conditions. I got a terrarium to put lowlanders in after that.

That pic is on Borneo Exotic's website. I don't know if it's Rob Cantley, but i know it's from BE.

it's not doctored - honest! That photo was taken in 1986 at a Seminar in Brunei where I was trying - unsuccessfully - to persuade Ministers not to develop the area of forest where plants like that grew.

Rob Cantley

That's Sad! I hear of this all the time, primary forest hacked down for development! Imagine the hundreds of years required for the flora and fauna to develop and its gone in several hours of sawing and hacking!
Anyway, what clone, then is the plant in the pic, I see that there are clones 154, 99 etc just curious to know which clone that plant would be?
Also, has anyone seen a pic of raff Giant's uppers before...I never heard of it before, wonder how it would look like, if it even existed!

But i also have my rafflesiana growing outside and its TALL and i dont want to cut it wahahahaaha x_x
What do i do?

Back