What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes hamata

Hi to everybody
smile.gif

Here is my Nepenthes hamata after the "bad" season (italian winter=short photoperiod and grew as windowsill plant on a south/east facing window). The plant never stopped to pitcher.

N.hamata.jpg

Now the good season is started and we will see what will happen outdoor in my garden.
smile_m_32.gif

Regards

rajah

Hi Mario
It sure is looking good
smile.gif

Bye for now julian

Looks great! That's a nep I'd like to have. Hairy lil' buggers. But you just gotta love those "teeth". Nice looking plant.
smile.gif

Looking very good.

I too grow my hamata as a windowsill plant and it also pitchers non stop.

In the 2nd pic, the lid looks almost like a vft,at least to me :p

Very cool having it survive on your windowsill! You must be lucky with the environment! How long do your pitchers last? I see a withered one there, mine last almost a year in controlled climate.

Hi  
smile.gif

My plant says thanks to everybody  
smile.gif

The pitchers last around 5 or 6 months, the oldest could have lasted more, but I feed them with "bed-bugs" (the only insects available during winter) and they made the pitchers withered. Now I feed the pitchers with a solution of milk and distilled water (1:3) or sometimes with ants or wasps that are surely better insects as food  
smile_m_32.gif
I agree that in a controlled climate the pitchers would last more, my Nepenthes hamata is exposed to humidity fluctuations from 50% to 90%.

kind regards

rajah

Awesome! I would gladly trade a few month of pitcher longevity to have it on a windowsill! Beautiful job!
biggrin.gif

Very nice Sir! My favorite attainable nep! I bet it starts to vine this season
smile.gif

Robin

Hmm...windowsill growing.

rajah, could you describe your conditions? I'm tempted to try N.hamata.
smile.gif

Thanks again  
smile.gif

to Cindy:
Growing conditions
From November to May: Indoor on a windowsill on a South/East facing window, direct sunlight for around 1*-3 hours (*in December photoperiod is short, and I don't use artificial light); Temperatures from 10°C to 24°C (50F-75.2F), Humidity from 50% to 90%.
From May to November: outdoor under a shed East facing, direct sunlight for around 4 hours; Temperatures from 20°C to 32°C (68F-89.6F), Humidity from 50% to 95%.

I Mist it 2 times a day.

Kind Regards

rajah

very nice! I get to go to Italy next summer, I have a hamata around that size no pitchers yet though

Thanks! Not sure if I can achieve the drop in temperature though...
smile_l_32.gif

Back