What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes import information

To import Nepenthes into the US do I need anything more than my APHIS permit?
Thanks Dennis

Not unless they are CITES 1 listed (rajah and khnasia (sp?)). Then you have to get the $75 one but I don't know that they issue it for countries the plants grow native-ly in.

The USDA will tell you to get the $70(is it $75 now) for any CITES material(I or II) which includes all Nepenthes. That is what the California USDA made me do.

Joe

I'm planning on getting some Nepenthes imported from a nursery in Thailand to California. They have been nursery grown and the grower provides CITES and phytosanitary documents. Besides these, is there anything I need to do on my end? It's less than 12 plants that are not under appendix I. Do I need to get a CITES permit for the import?

The USDA will tell you to get the $70(is it $75 now) for any CITES material(I or II) which includes all Nepenthes. That is what the California USDA made me do.

Joe

I'm planning on getting some Nepenthes imported from a nursery in Thailand to California. They have been nursery grown and the grower provides CITES and phytosanitary documents. Besides these, is there anything I need to do on my end? It's less than 12 plants that are not under appendix I. Do I need to get a CITES permit for the import?

Joe

The information the USDA provides on their website isn't clear (it says that many appendix II species are exempt but does not list which ones,) though I've had many people say that the CITES permit is required for Nepenthes. If you have any doubt just call up the main APHIS office and ask. I believe you want to talk to Karen Williams.

Not sure if it is different if you are directly bringing plants into the country but I have brought Nepenthes ampullaria and bicalcarata through customs at an airport with just a phytosanitary certificate and that was all I needed.

If you are carrying on in your airplane (and entering into the airport with the facility), you do not need the import permit for plants <= 12 as Tanukimo said. But if you are mailing, you need PPQ587 (free). If it's commercial (i.e. planning to sell), then you need the CITES import permit (PPQ621).

Last time I called USDA the person who actually signs off the permits told me CITES permits are needed for all Nepenthes.

Yes that's the detail I forgot. The CITES permit is apparently only required for commercial use, though a lot of people buy the CITES permit for personal use. Better safe than sorry I suppose? I would call the APHIS office to make sure.

I am going to guess that depending on what day you call and who answers, you will get either answer.

Back