What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ramispina

Kate

Far too old to grow up now.
I have been looking at this speices recently and so far I have found an almost 50/50 split with one part saying it MUST have true higland conditions and the other saying that it does well as an intermediate.

Anyone that can shed some light on this?

Hi kate
I grow my Ramispina in intermediate conditions.Its planted in pure LFS and grows a treat.Have a look at the photo underneath it looks healthy to me.A newly opened pitcher.
ram.jpg

Bye for now  julian

I think you're going to get differing views on this one. I don't think any Peninsular Malaysian species are true highland species, most are prettymuch intermediates. You'll find that ramispina, macfarlanei and sanguinea all grow well in intermediate conditions, tolerating reasonably warm nights, although macfarlanei has a reputation of disliking low humidity.

Personally, I have found N. ramispina one of the easiest Nepenthes species to grow. I grow many of them (although some have now been identified as ramispina x sanguinea). They all continued to pitcher during summer in Sydney, where the nights get quite warm, and the days are fairly hot. Humidity averages at about 60%, but you get both lower and higher during the summer season. My ramispina continued to pitcher more readily than most ventricosa and sanguinea varieties which seem to stop for a couple of months during the hottest weather.

The only thing I can go by is my personal experience, which tells me ramispina will grow as an intermediate. However, I know people who've had endless problems with this species. Growing conditions vary so much, and I find some species easy that others find hard, and vice versa. A lot will depend on your particular conditions (temps, water, humidity, light etc), and you'll need to give it a go to find out.

Hamish

Hey Kate,

I have a ramispina in highland conditions, but only just. The overnight lows never go below areound 58 or so. It' just in a tank in the basement. It is growing just fine for me, so I would have to agree with the others' statements: easy plant. Nothing special outside generic nep cultivation rules for highland/intermediate plants.

Thanks for the replys. Think I will give this one a try. Intermediate conditions I can do, true highland conditions would be difficult at the moment.

Mine has been on the windowsill for a while now, but spent its first year of life in a terrarium with cool nights. I think it grows faster now, but looks a little less "perfect". A fantastic plant.

By the way julian, what's up with your ramispina? It's looks almost RED in that photo... that's interesting.

Hi Nathan
Yes it does a bit doesnt it
smile.gif
give it a little time and the pitchers are almost black after a few days of opening.
Bye for now julian

Back