What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Id some highlanders

Hi, have some highlanders I need ID with, hope some here can help. I have a feeling they may be different variations of Sanguinea.
unknown-var-3_large.jpg

Number 1
n-ramispina_large.jpg

Number2
this one may be ramispina
unknown-var-2_large.jpg

Number 3
may be alata?
http://nep-highland.MyPicGallery.com
there are more pics here

So far these plants are not doing so well, I live in Singapore, lowland conditions...and I think the biggest hurdle in growing nepenthes in cooling the plants at night, right now I use ice which i put in icecream tubs above the plants and the cold air pours down, not an effecient method but the best I have. I am afraid of giving too much light as sunlight can burn quite badly at times... just hope they can acclimitise.....

Number one, looks like a green N. sanguinea.

The next one, a darker N. sanguinea.

The third one, not sure looks like a lowland N. alata form to me.

1) spatulata x. vetchii (green varient)
3) alata 'striped form' (highland)

thanks all for replies,
well i think it is safe to say number 2 is Sanguinea, and number 3 is Alata(but definitely not lowland, it didnt like my lowland conditions...)? anyone opposes?
How about number 3? spathulata X veitchi sounds good, but I'm not too sure...Sanguinea green? if that's the case I bought 3 different varieties of Sanguinea?!?! Any other views?
thanks

#3 is not N. alata. The strap shaped leaves are wrong and the shape of the pitcher is not correct. Most likely some sort of hybrid between N. sanguinea and
confused.gif
maybe N. macfarlanei??

#1 is the most N. alata looking of the batch. What do the leaves look like? Is there a well defined petiole before the leaf margin expands?

Tony

If it has some macfarlanei in it it'll have at least a few hairs under the lid. Pure sanguinea doesn't have any.

OOPs yep #3 is not alata.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ May 08 2005,7:51)]#3 is not N. alata.  The strap shaped leaves are wrong and the shape of the pitcher is not correct.  Most likely some sort of hybrid between N. sanguinea and
confused.gif
maybe N. macfarlanei??

#1 is the most N. alata looking of the batch.  What do the leaves look like?  Is there a well defined petiole before the leaf margin expands?

Tony
Hi, ok so it isnt alata...It is starting to make sense, if this is hybrid of macfarlanei because I bought these plants from cameron highlands... sanguinea and macfarlanei...sounds sensible enough, but I reallly not sure what macfarlanei looks like, when I saw this plant (#3) i thought of fusca, but put that idea away
As for no.1 , no there is no well-defined petiole, their leaf and stem structure are very similar, no obvious characteristics...
Anymore opinions?
thanks anyway everyone

Back