What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ventrata care

Hi, all. I got this N. ventrata over the weekend. The soil mix looks to be a peat mixture and doesn't look very airy. I have it hanging on the limb of a dogwood tree. The plant receives a little direct sun early in the morning, but is otherwise shaded all day long. I'm misting it a couple of times a day and making sure the soil stays moist. Here are my questions:

1. Do I need to repot in a more traditional Nep soil mixture even though the plant looks very healthy?

2. Does the amount of light sound okay?

3. Does my watering sound okay?

4. Any other tips for an N. ventrata? They're hardy Neps, right?

I really think this is a beautiful plant, and I don't want to kill it. Any help offered will be greatly appreciated.

Jason

1532696Nep2.jpg

Well, that certainly looks like a healthy plant.

I wouldn't worry about the mix it's in, judging by the way it looks.

I don't think you need to mist it quite so frequently, as ventratas are very tollerant neps.

The light sounds perfect.

Your plant looks great!

You may not have similar conditions as what it had earlier on so keep an eye on the existing pitchers. If they start to turn brown fast, then you might have to see what is "not so" favourable. If it starts pitchering immediately on the newest leaf and the pitcher is of similar size/larger to the existing one, you've got its ideal conditions.
smile.gif

Acclimatising a new plant can be quite exciting 'cos most of the time they come from greenhouses with light, humidity, watering all under specific control. We may have good conditions at home for neps in general but the plant can still lose a pitcher or two. Be patient and enjoy it while it gets used to what you can provide. N.ventrata is a toughie.

Thanks for the responses. I'm excited about this new growing challenge. I'll be sure to watch the plant closely for browning of the pitchers. There is a new pitcher still inflating, and I'm watching it daily to see it open.

This is fun!!!! I can't understand why my wife rolls her eyes whenever I talk about getting a new plant!!
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I can't understand why my wife rolls her eyes whenever I talk about getting a new plant!!

Join the club. I even tried to tell her it's better that a husband who's always at the bar spending $, or spending all his time away from the family on the golf course.....But she doesn't buy it. For some reason she thinks every waking moment of my time should be spent on chores.

The part I don't understand is that my wife loves plants in general, and we grow many together around the house. I guess CPs are supposed to be a "little boy" infatuation - you know, with the dead bugs and all that stuff. She just thinks it's gross. She does from time to time admit when she likes the looks of something I'm growing.
smile_m_32.gif

Ventratas are not hard to raise. Mine just hangs there on the garden and pitchers like crazy. I dont give it special treatment or anything. And aparently it likes heat and sun...weird.....

Hi Jaxon & Shloaty
I say the same things to my wife but still i get yes that 1 is ok but i dont like the others,i also get things like ahhh bless. Generally she thinks im a bit strange for liking these kind of plants but hey i like them and bye the size of this forum so do many others
smile.gif

Bye for now julian

Back