What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How high can you go

I certainly would. I paid $600 for a Paphiopedilum sanderianum and resold it for $2,450.00. I'ld say my original investment gave me an ample return.

And the auction hasn't ended yet. I would be surprised if we didn't get higher bids from Japanese collectors. I'm betting it will get around AUD1,000.

According to market economics, it's worth what someone is prepared to pay for it...

Hamish

WOW
Alot of dollar for a plant but hey it is nice
smile.gif
Can you imagine what they would want for the parent plant?? now that is stunning.
Bye for now julian

WOW! I got one that almost looks just like that growing in my back yard, if you compare it to petunias. I've always wanted that, but I think I'll wait unti lthe price comes down. Even if it never comes down. I think I can live without it. (Boy, has my plant addiction changed).

heheh.. 1000 bucks ? that's nothin. Wait till edwardsiana comes up for auction ;)
It is a very nice trusmadiensis though..great color! really nice plant.

Sad part is they'll probably sell it to some guy who takes his plants way too seriously or some botanical garden, some of the prices these days are crazy, you could buy a nice greenhouse with selves, heating and still have money left over for that! They're charging 50 bucks on directTV to view a boxing match, 50 bucks! I could pay for some nice plants with that
EDIT: Also, why cant someone put one of them up for the NASC?
smile_n_32.gif

I just can hope that my seedling N.macrophylla of possibly hybrid origin is this hybrid!!! What a mad mad price! I never want to be just a "collector" or "plant dealer"...

Jan

Ha, I'm starting to feel like the Oracle of Delphi... LOL.

tell us what you see 'O' wise and knowing Hamish, for we hear strange and wonderous rumors whispered about.
cool.gif

Robin

I was just referring to my earlier post that I thought bidding would be pushed to $1,000 by Japanese bidders. Then I checked it out yesterday, and lo and behold - a Japanese bidder had bid $1,000. I know how much money they're prepared to spend on collectables. It will be interesting to see if it goes higher - I have no foresight on that one unfortunately LOL.

Nxtrusmardiensis is such a beautiful plant!. This is one hell of a nep.
It's a shame that it's not as widely spread as other neps.

Gus

[b said:
Quote[/b] (philcula @ May 13 2005,2:27)]I certainly would. I paid $600 for a Paphiopedilum sanderianum and resold it for $2,450.00. I'ld say my original investment gave me an ample return.
Certainly, if i were buying it as an investment, to flip for profit, or else to propagate and sell more of.

But as a collector, no.

I'll wait until it is more common in cultivation.

I know, I find it hard to believe. Given that x Trusmadiensis is likely to be more widely available in the future, it's merely the head start that you're paying a huge premium on - but that it what people are paying for when they buy a new or hard to get Nep. I've paid good money for rare stuff, but even I have my limits. I'm just greatful I got most of my really rare stuff for free
blues.gif

Back