What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A good "starter" nepenthes

Do you guys have any recommendations for a nep that would be suitable for a beginner?  

It would be kept outside in the summer...we have high humidity and hot temps here at that time.  

It would be kept inside pretty much the rest of the time!  I'm sure that late Spring through early Fall may be okay.

Thanks!~

It varies from place to pace, and 'hot' can be a relative concept. Where are you, and what temperature ranges do you have?

N. ventricosa, ventrata, sanguinea come to mind.

N. alata, N. ventracosa, N. spathulata

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SydneyNeps @ May 15 2005,2:31)]It varies from place to pace, and 'hot' can be a relative concept. Where are you, and what temperature ranges do you have?
According to the profile....Evanston, IL.
 How hot does it get there?  I see the predicted high for the next 10 days is 70 F.
smile.gif

I think N. ventrata is a good choice, and maybe N. truncata, since it seems to tolerate a wider range of temps than a lot of lowlanders. N. gracilis is an easy lowlander too.

Cheers,

Joe

PS Tre, why do you recommend N. spathulata for a supposedly warm environment? I find it to be a great intermediate-does it grow well warm for you?

I agree with the vetrata, and also would like to add Miranda. This is also an rediculously easy hybrid.

I have also had great success with truncata x ventricosa. This has pitchered for me in conditions most would consider quite poor (humidity under 35%!!).

Yes it does. I have both Highlanders and lowlanders in the smae enviroment currently. And for all summer probibly. Well my bical is with my highlanders anyway. Florida has standing 92% humidity where I live all summer. I think I must have intermediate conditions because the spathulata gets pitchers on every leaf unlike some other less thirilling plants.

I've found spathulata to be almost bomb proof, it pitchers continuously in all sorts of conditions, both in the heat of a Sydney summer, and in the cool of winter - more regularly than some of the more 'tolerant' species such as ventricosa and sanguinea (which I find intolerant of very warm nights and low humidity together). Alata is also a consistent pitcherer.

Khasiana is my ultimate windowsill favorite. In 50ish humidity, and cool nights, it will make large colorful pitchers. That was back in Champaign, IL, prarie climate. Hre in CA, I haven't had so much windowsill succsess with anything (the humidity can be rather low where I live, and the nights aren't cool enough. I can firmly say that truncata can do quite good in your climate, and you should really consider buying one.

Back