What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unexpected boon

schloaty

Staff member
Hey rajah growers, I just aquired one of these (a BIG thank you to my source, who will remain nameless to protect him/her from undo adulation that would make his/her head swell to epic proportions) and I have a rather simple question:

I have read that rajah is very sensative to humidity....but I have read that about many other neps that I have successfully grown in much less than ideal circumstances. I wonder how true flexible is the rule of high humidity with this plant. I don't want to do any experiments that would kill it, you see.....

Hi David
I find Rajah fairly easy to grow.Its near the half open door of my greenhouse so it gets breeze and fairly cool at night.I give it a good soaking in the middle of the night or early morning depends when i get home from work.Its potted up in LFS and a good hand full of oak leafmould which it seems to like.Ive already removed a basal shoot which has taken well.All in all its fairly easy just basic h/l conditions suit it.
Good growing bye for now julian

Grows as a typical highlander for me. Only plant I have that are really sensitive to humidity are N. hamata and N. bicalcarata truly.

Wow you must have good luck

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Grows as a typical highlander for me. Only plant I have that are really sensitive to humidity are N. hamata and N. bicalcarata truly.

Truly? Hamata? I grew mine out on the deck last year with no problem whatsoever. Granted, the pitchers didn't last quite as long, but the plant grew and pitchered just fine.

I would certainly agree on the bical, though! And, oddly, my all green amp doesn't pitcher too well unless it's humid. It'll grow, but that's it. My specled, on the other hand, doesn't mind "rough" conditions in the least. Odd, that.

Thanks, everyone, for the info. I kinda had that feeling, so on the deck it will stay. I will keep a close eye on it, but now I'm much less worried.

Also, I noticed that, while it's only about 3" diameter or so, it has mulitple (I'm talkin' about 5 or 6) growth points all squeased together....Is this normal for rajah? I've never seen such a dence collection of growth points on a nep before.

TC Rajah,s always produce lots of basal growth which is a plus because you just keep pulling them off to make now plants.Other people have said by removing the offshoots more vigor is added to the main plant.so before long you should have a few Rajah,s.Good news alround.
Bye for now Julian

The member Matthias can show exactly what Julian is describing!

Well thats the other thing Dave about the N. hamata, yours was growing on the desk, mines in a controlled greenhouse climate so those hot days it takes a beating the first couple weeks into spring, but mid summer it is full of pitchers.

I take the top off of my highland terrarium during the day and put it under lights (or leave it outside if it's a good day for it), and cover it at night and put it outside to bump up the humidity.  The rajah does fine like this, but the pitchers don't last long with that low humidity during the day.

Schloaty, what are your summertime averages for humidity there?  I'm thinking that many NECPS members have higher humidity because they're always talking about growing stuff in open air that just won't do well for me in open air here. I know John gets very good humidity in his beachside home.

D mus, I get variable humidity durring the day here. Probably average in the 45 to 55% range, but whenever it's overcast or hazy (not uncommon), it's quite a bit higher. Rarely do we dip below 40%, even on the hottest days (which, of course, makes them all the more unbearable...especially when it's 95 degrees and 95% humidity at the same time!).
Nights always tend to be more humid, if only due to the drop in temperature (cool air holds less moisture, thus simply lowering the temp increases the humidity if you don't remove water from the air).

Back