What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Closed ventricosa?

So about six months ago, I bought a N. Ventricosa - it arrived with one pitcher, and looked to be in pretty good shape, although small (I have him in a 3 inch pot).

Since then, he's been growing quite a bit, developing new pitcheres, all that good stuff. However, on a majority of the new pitchers (of the 4 new ones, all but one is affected by this), the lids never separate from the pitcher - or if they do open up, the lid barely separates from the pitcher (IE, you can fit your fingernail between them, but that's about it).

The biggest pitcher on this plant is...about two inches long.

Any ideas? Think it's a humidity/temperature issue, or some mutation?

I have also seen that. I always thought it was because the plant was young. Wait for the experts, though. I am interested in knowing as well.

Humidity or becaue you changed position. Could also be problems iwht the tissue culture but I doubt thats the only effect you would see.

Change or any sort of shock can do that.I have a Ventricosa red which was dropped upside down and left for a good while with the heater blasting on it took ages to recover and the first pitchers where dodge to say the least.Its only now starting to do the right things and that was months and months ago.Stability in your growing conditions i think is the way to go.
Bye for now julian

Back