What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. vieillardi?

This is still an immature plant but I think it is N. vieillardi 'Yellow Pitchers' (not actual cutlivar, just describes plant). It does amazingly well in intermediate conditions. Sorry for the poor quality it's the best I could get.
vieil.jpg

vieilardi.jpg

You can also see some neps in the background. This was pre Nep bog outside.

Not sure Tre.

Just for comparison, here is my supposed version of N. vieillardii. Smaller plant, but very different leaf shape to yours. It also looks as though yours is not hairy? You can clearly see how hairy my one is in the macro shot.

NVieillardiiPlant.jpg
NVieillardiiPitcher.jpg

Its been a slow but steady grower in my intermediate conditions.

I should note that the ID on mine is not 100% either and I'd love clarification is anyone else has a better idea. The supplier is known to mix plants up at ID stage and to miss-ID others all together, so.....who knows? (i.e. that striped pitcher at the back was sold as N. khasiana. Its actually N. xAllardii)

AJ

Aaron, given the leaf shape, I think it is likely your plant is vieillardii. Tre, I think the leaves on your plant are too narrow to be that species. It looks more like a sanguinea or the like.

Hamish

Hi all:

I agree that the leaf shape belongs to viellardii, but how about the hairy edges typical of viellardii. it does not seem to be so hairy?

Gus

Must agree with Hamish. All the viellardii I've seen (and these were young plants from tc-maybe two or three clones) all looked like Aeron's plant: hirsute round leaves. Some of them were also very reddish in color, both the leaves and the pitchers. I know there are several color forms of this species.

Hi,

according to Jebb and Cheek in Science in New Guinea, Vol. 17, No 1 from March 1991 the leaf blade of N. vieillardii is lanceolate; apex acute; base decurrent to 2 cm down the stem. Leaf size is 7 x 2 cm to 20 x 4 cm.

N_viellardii_leaf.jpg

So Aaron's plant might be something different.

Joachim

Checked Bob Z's photo lists. There are some excellent pics of this species growing in habitat on New Caledonia. The older vines were definitely lanceolate as Joachim pointed out, but some of the ground shoots displayed a broader leaf shape. Also, there seems to be some variation within the species...both Tre's and Aaron's plants could be N. vieillardii!?!

Joachim,

According to Jebb and Cheek in Flora Malesiana Vol. 15 2001. The illustrations of N. vieillardii in their work you quote from 1991 are of N. lamii.

Aarons plant looks like all the N. vieillardii I have seen from several different sources. Although there are some differences in the width of the leaves towards the base. they tend to have the broader blunt leaf tips. I have not looked specifically to see if the difference is more to do with climbing vs rosette leaves. With some white hairs on the leaf surface. Usually a reddish color but that could be more environmental. Pitchers are usually reddish with broad wings and those very fine almost hair like filaments along the edge.

I dunno what you have Tre.. but it is not N. vieillardii in my opinion.

Tony

Ah, thanks Tony for pointing this out! Looking through my literature I found Blumea, Vol 42, No. 1 from 1997 where Jebb and Cheek separated N. lamii from N. viellardii due to its 'almost glabrous nature'.

The plants sold here in Germany as N. viellardii have less wide leafes than Aaron's plant but the shape is similar:

N_vieillardii_0203_B.jpg

Though I don't know whether these plants are labeled correct or not.

Joachim

Yeah Trent I think it was you I talked with about it. Obviously it is still immature but my bases was on
http://cpartrat.club.fr/Nepenthes/Nepenthes_vieillardii.HTM
Since these are in habitat. Intermediate I believe. Notice only one or two are yellow pitchered and some others have the pink splotches in the pitcher. Also Marcel Leucofle's (sp?) book on CP (If anyone has it) has photos of N. vieillardi in habitat with upper pitcher that look like mine. I will try to post the scan of the photo for everyone. Since I know this is a rare book.

vieillardii03.jpg

This is the photo from the book which will hopefully help ID my plant

Well I looked at all of Eric's photos and the image above and fail to see any resemblance between them and your plant.

Your plant is a young lower rosette. You can't compare with photos showing mature climbing upper pitchers. The only picture which conforms in size and growth stage is the one on Eric's site labelled, lower rosette from Prony. Clearly the plant Aaron has and the one Joachim has are very similar to the one pictured from the wild. Another thing to notice is the bulbous pitcher base and distinct hip in the pitcher. Have a close look at your leaves also. There should be some very fine white hairs on the surface.

One also has to account that when looking at older photos of 'N. vieillardii'. They may in fact not be photos of that species! N. lamii and N. vieillardii were once considered the same.. and no I don't think you have N. lamii.

Can you give some information on where the plant came from?

Tony

Unfortuanly very little. I bought it from Biophila but Carole did not know where it was from originally. Except she recieved it from another CPer and it was grown from seed. Other then that I have no idea. Do you have any idea about what it is?

Hard to see much yet from the plant. Maybe when it grows up there will be more distinctive features. For now I would agree with the N. sanguinea or N. sanguinea hybrid idea mentioned above.

Is it the same plant in both photos at different times or 2 different plants photographed at the same time?

Tony

Same plant photographed at the same time.

Back