What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. campanulata getting black leaves?

when i received my n. campanulata from malesiana tropicals it had black spots on the lower leaves, see photo below.

1.jpg

then one of the new leaves started to turn black.

2.jpg

and now the newest pitcher is turning.

3.jpg

can anyone identify the problem? it looks like a fungal infection to me, and ideas? this plant grows with my other lowlanders that don't have this problem.

ick.. welcome to the joys of importing..

It is a fungal infection. N. campanulata seems to come down with it very easily. I have had many arrive totally black with nothing to salvage. Cut off everything with the black. I would remove those 4 leaves completely and the entire pitcher/tendril where it attaches to the leaf. Fortunately the growth point looks ok so just watch closely that no more spots pop up.

In case your wondering. I have not had any positive results treating for it. It appears to be something caused by too much moisture, lack of air circulation and perhaps warm temperatures for too long a period.

Tony

thanks a bunch for the info, is it contagious?

If it's a fungal infection, yes it would be contagious if given the right conditions.

looks bad. Note to self: don't buy that Nep.

Back