What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arg!

schloaty

Staff member
My merriliana has a scale infection.

Nuts.

Oddly, the plant still looks fairly healthy, though it's pitchers have shruck a tad.

What would you recommend to a) kill the scale and b) NOT kill the merri?

iv used that Shultz expert gardener or whatever its called that is made from chrysanthamum flowers. its worked fine on Nepenthes in my experiance, works fine on Sarrs and Orchids too.

I have found that Orthene works very well.

also ive noticed scales are tough lil buggers and being that the Shultz stuff is not that noxious it will prolly take several applications. ive noticed the first shot knocks out 75% of the population but it takes 2 or 3 more shots to get rid of the last 25% of these bugs

Hi schloaty,
I found this stuff
Dormant Spray
$15.99
Made from 97% parafinnic oil. Safe to use in temperatures up to 90 degrees. Great for controlling scale in all ornamentals.

I have never used it , so I cannot vouch for it's safety for your nep, but it's pretty cheap. Could'nt hurt to try it on one leaf.
Robin

Hi Dave -

If it's a minor infestation, I'll use a Q-tip or small paint brush dipped in alcohol on the buggers. You have to be persistant, every week for a while. I did this on my Buddist's Hand Lemon tree.

I've used liquid Ortho Systemic Insect Killer that you dilute with water and spray on - it's a systemic and the plant takes it in. It stinks - Dena thought the Amorphophallus bloomed again!

I also have used Bonide Systemic granular Insecticide for spider mites & scale. You put a few spoonfuls of it in the soil (depending on pot size) and dig it in, then water. I even used it on my Bical and D. binata. I isolated them in plastic bags too - to stop the spread of the pests. The bical sorta went into shock, but recovered.

Here's another crazy thing I heard and tried once on a Bay Laurel tree. Mix up powdered milk with a tad of water to make a thick paint. Brush it on the plant. As it dries, it dehydrates the scale & flakes off. This wouldn't work in a humid environment.....

Good luck with it.

Bill

Ask around for Pyrethrin. It's organic and it takes a while, but it worked when my S. minor had scale.

Back