What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air layering

There was a post here that I can no longer find about air layering of Nep vines. I think that was the term, anyway.

The post linked to a website which described notching the vine in situ, applying rooting hormone to the cut, wrapping LFS around it, wrapping with plastic wrap and waiting.

I did this with my N. coccinea, with excellent results. After 2 months or so, I removed the plastic and founf the LFS completely run through with Nep roots.

I cut it off below the root ball, and planted in my standard mix of Orchid Mix and LFS.

Normally, when starting cuttings, I take one node, and cut of 2/3 of the leaf.

There was plenty of new growth, and one leaf with a well-established pitcher. I left all that on the plant, and so far, it seems to be acclimatizing just fine. It's been several days, and the lone pitcher has shown no sign of dying.

If this experiment progresses as well as it has been, I will be performing this technique more frequently, and will have more well-rooted Nepenthes cuttings to trade.

I don't know why I never thought of air-layering my Neps. I have one that's badly in need of a haircut...
Scott, how did you apply the hormone? Did you use a powder or a paste? I usually use Dip-n-Gro type solutions with my cuttings - the only things I've ever air-layered are rubber trees and Dracenea and they don't take any work at all. I've seen some sort of gel-type of rooting hormone - would that work well?
Thanks,
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedjar @ May 18 2005,3:41)]I don't know why I never thought of air-layering my Neps. I have one that's badly in need of a haircut...
Scott, how did you apply the hormone? Did you use a powder or a paste? I usually use Dip-n-Gro type solutions with my cuttings - the only things I've ever air-layered are rubber trees and Dracenea and they don't take any work at all. I've seen some sort of gel-type of rooting hormone - would that work well?
Thanks,
~Joe
I used Olivia's Cloning Gel. I applied it to one piece of damp sphagnum, and put that sphagnum in the cut, to keep it from healing. Then I wrapped damp sphagnum around it, covered it in Saran Wrap, and forgot about it for 2-3 months (except for watering it to keep the moss damp).

I tried air-layering a N. alata (Luzon) spotted, and it managed to scar over instead of root.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (D muscipula @ May 18 2005,4:20)]I tried air-layering a N. alata (Luzon) spotted, and it managed to scar over instead of root.
Did you prop the cut open with LFS?

Did you notch it, or cut it?

Kiko paste works (bought or home-made)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ May 18 2005,2:03)]Kiko paste works (bought or home-made)
What's that? I like things I can make at home. Especially when they're cheap.
~Joe

I tried with a Ventrata with no luck. It was a few feet up the vine, and in the original thread we suspected the closer to the base, the better your chances.

I notched it, propped it open with a splinter of bark, and painted it with Rootone. Then i wrapped it with damp sphagnum.

Back