What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. edwardsiana

I was hoping someone could tell me why it is that Nepenthes edwardsiana has not been tissue cultured. I am assuming it has something to do with the fact that it only grows in Kinabalu National Park. N. villosa and N. rajah have both found their way into tissue culture however so perhaps my assumptions are wrong. If anyone can shed some light on this I would like to know.

Thanks,
Rich

Hey Rich, as far as I know, N. edwardsiana is somewhat touchy in tissue culture, and even touchier from seed. But who knows, it might be in production as we speak, but its entirely confidential at this moment. But for now, only a few selected individuals have the plant in their possession.

Hmmm.
I've heard it's the other way around, that the few edwardsiana in cultivation are grown from seed, and that it's the substances used in tc that cause the problems.

T.

Hi Rich

I believe it's because edwardsiana is only found on Marai Parai, inside the Nat. Park, and that particular mountain is off limits to the public so no-one (or very few at least) has been able to pilfer seed.
Both rajah and villosa are also inside the park and technically speaking shouldn't be in cultivation but if there is a juicy seed head swaying by the main trail, you're that way inclined and no one is watching then there's a good possibility those seeds will end up in tc.

Burbidgeae is another one that isn't along the main path, in fact the only place I have seen it is on Pig Hill which is a $%#@ to get to, and again it isn't a common one in cultivation either.

There is also the possibility that some of these species were collected as plants before tc'ing came into being, and before the park was officially created? Then you would have the possibility of seed from mature plants in collections.

Cheers, Troy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] rajah and villosa are also inside the park and technically speaking shouldn't be in cultivation
Four or five of the commonest rajah clones in tc are reputedly sourced from the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew in London, and I don't believe they'd collect plants illegally.
smile_m_32.gif

tonyc

See my last comment Tony.

The main reason why this species is not in TC is because the seed of this species is difficult to germinate and that finding seed is a rare occurrence.
TC plants can only be generated from the seed embryo. You must be sure that the seed is from true species and not hybrids. This is why there are things tc in circulation like N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana, clipeata x rafflesiana, clipeata x reinwardtiana, etc. This is why you don't have things in tc like N. ampullaria red clones, etc. N. ampullaria even from seed from red plants bred with other red plants, gives a mixed population of few reds and speckles, and even greens. You don't really know what you have until they are mature and often many many years old.
If N. edwardsiana is in cultivation, I'm sure they're waiting to see if they are truely pure N. edwardsiana first! For all we know they might be N. edwardsiana x burbidgeae seedlings or tc starters posing as N. edwardsiana!

Back