What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fertilizer

I'm looking into getting some fertilizer for my nepenthes. I've notice that the plants I have bought that have fertilizer in them already, seem to be growing better than the ones without. The only problem is I don't know what kind of fertilizer to get. I kind of want a time released one, but whatever is the best I'll probably use.

Which would you all recommend?

I've only heard of using weak (1/4 to 1/2 the recommended concentration) solutions of epiphytic plant fertilizer for Nepenthes. I don't know that any time-release formula would be appropriate, as Nepenthes expect to have a media that is washed free of nutrients. When fertilizing Nepenthes, everything I've read says to either mist them with fertilizer (also called foliar feeding) or you fertilize the media and then rinse it clean shortly thereafter. When I had it around, I would foliar feed with an occasional spray of 30-10-10 (an orchid mix) but I don't think it makes a huge difference as long as they get adaquate conditions and plenty to eat.
~Joe

I use Osmocote slow release plant food 19-6-12. Just a few pellets scattered on the media every 4 months or so of my N. ventricosa, N. gracilis, and N. 'Judith Finn'. The first few times I water after fertilizing, I flush the media thoroughly, then go back to watering enough for it to flow through the media and fill the saucer under the plant.

Back