What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird things while transplanting...

• Thread starter Andenes
  • Start date
Yesterday I was repotting my N. rafflesiana gigantea(?) and when I took it out of the pot I notice a very very long single root that meassured over 1 feet! (3 times the length of the plant). It freaked me out! I didn't know it had such a long root. This reminded me of that time I repotted my n. khasiana when I noticed that there was a basal shoot living under the soil which only had 2 pitchers very different from the ones khasiana has: they were short and fat with wings and purple/pink coloration. Days after the repotting the basal shoot and the pitchers died out...as if they were sensitive to sunlight...weird huh?

Kind of. Isn't N. khasiana one of those whith rhizomes? or no.

Yea, my khasiana had the same features.

Errrm....rhizomes? ...I dont understand... o_O

Some Neps have rhizomes. I've never seen a picture or bare rooted my plants so I'm not sure what they look like. N. viking is one

That is quite an interesting fact!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Can that possibly mean that if those species have a rhizome that they can be cut in half and you can get a new plant?

C

A Rhizome?
You learn something new everyday.So as stated has anyone tried the rhizome cutting with a Khasiana?
Bye for now julian

I don't really think the root is a rhizhome. Just a big ole root! I wouldn't advise cutting it. N. khasiana just resprouts from the old rootstock, not really a rhizhome.

Like I said I'm not sure it it is a real rhizome. That site with N. viking told about them but I could not open one of the pages so I'm not sure if it had any pictures

Wait wait wait! I'm not quite following...what does this have to do with my n. khasiana? What I found was some weird pitchers that were living under the soil....and the n. rafflesiana gigantea (?) had a really really long root for such a small plant. I have some pictures of the weird pitchers though...maybe they could help?

Okay.
Oh back to the rhizome thing. Notice the thread I posted in Nep forum

Back