What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neps galore!

I am absolutely thrilled to see CPs in the limelight.  Great photography Brooks!

I worked on one of the large show gardens on the rock bank. I did most of the detailed plantings. The web site on the garden is still up and they have 30 sec clips of an entire day's work. It will not run on my computer but perhaps it will work for some of you.

http://www.4headgarden.co.uk/

I will try and post pics of Hamshire's gold medal winning display tomorrow in the Sarracenia thread.

I waved, you just missed it.

The pics are excellent! Thanks for posting them.

That's one great showcase! How many different neps are there??

C

Hello,

Nice pics!  
smile.gif
  Thanks for posting them.

We're back, very tired.  Chelsea was both exhilerating and exhausting.  Of course, we're a little disappointed we didn't get Gold but as one exhibitor pointed out, out of 220 exhibitors, about 215 think they should have won Gold, and the standards are incredibly high.  This display was far, far, better in every respect than our first one at a London RHS show for which we did get Gold.

We got the judges back to tell us what it was they found wrong (usual procedure so exhibitors can learn about their mistakes).  Turns out they had absolutely no criticisms of the Nepenthes themselves but hated the palms as backing plants, particularly the big one on the rear LHS that obscures the climbing stem of N. maxima.  Gold is a very narrow band indeed, so Silver Gilt for a first try will do.  The judges unfortunately (with one exception) had little or no experience with CPs - luck of the draw - and would have been judging on artistic merit alone.

Dead right we had problems with the weather! The RHS put us right next to a door facing the wind (they've promised not to ever do that again!).  Whilst we were setting up, an icy cold wind was howling (LITERALLY howling) across the display knocking plants over - they are all bare rooted in plastic bags, sometimes just propped up with pots. The N. bicals and N. amps with many leaves croaked the first night.  However, we came prepared with a complete set of duplicate plants except for the N. lowii and N. trusmadiensis. Five days later was the hottest May day on record for over 60 years.

Michael, the N. lowii is safely back home with us and the other plants are all either sold or donated to Royal Botatanic Gardens Kew.  The N. x trusmadiensis sold for 1,000 pounds, over $1,800.  Guess that might make it the most expensive Nep ever?  
smile_k_ani_32.gif
  Really nice plant though.

More photos will be put up on our website, perhaps tomorrow.

Wow that is quite wonderful

Fantasic photos.
How can you have people judging when they have no idea about neps at all??and a silver all because of a palm tree? get real it looks like a fantastic display to me.£1000 wow you can grow a few more for that .Well done Rob and crew
smile.gif

Bye for now Julian

Rob,
Yea N. x trusmadiensis is a fantastic plant. The male one I have here produced the best preserved traps. I chopped down this plant with five stems a few years back and dried up the traps to give to my nieces and nephews for show and tell. Just sprayed the traps with an acrylic paint spray and they last forever. Held there shape and the teeth well I don't think they have seen this in Indy or Kansas!
And by the way great dvd of your nursery! I don't really understand about having to destroy all those plants because of some kind of licensing issue
but I hope it not a problem for future tissue culture efforts.
Truly,
Tom

Hello Tom,

That must be quite some plant you have there! I've just got the one left which we won't be selling, maybe it will turn out to be a girl...

The video of the plant destruction was taken for evidential reasons, at the time I took it I never expected it to be publicized. The licensor of the tissue cultures decided for reasons of his own to ask us to stop producing them and invoked a clause in his contract that made us return samples of lab stock, destroy any remaining lab stock and (which I consider unfair but there was no choice) destroy all nursery stock, even if saleable. We did this without argument and have since managed to replace some but not all of the species since, so no lasting prioblem. Caused a hole in production of some things for a while though!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ June 01 2005,4:05)]Brooks what did you help set up?
I think brooks was there with "Fine Gardens" his garden designing company in atlanta

Back