What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neps galore!

Someone requested pics of the Borneo Exotics display at Chelsea. I snapped a few while I was there. They got a silver gilt medal (one under gold which is the best). Enjoy!

BEentireChelsea05.jpg

This is the entire exhibit followed by close ups of the various parts.
BE1.jpg

BE2.jpg

BE3.jpg

BE4.jpg

BE6.jpg

Whoa! That's a fantastic display! Thanks for the pics!

Capslock

uhhh.......WOW! how did they get that there all the way from Sri Lanka?

HOLY......
Jeez anyone care to guess what all the neps are? Just Kidding
I would like to know:
2nd picture what are all the little Neps around the pool
3rd picture up front on teh left teh little ones
4th picture the red things on the left are ampullaria (I think) but what are the red ones to the right of them?
6th picture the uppers at the top belong to?

Oh yeah Brooks what stand did you set up and when do we get to see still pictures?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Flip_Side_the_Pint @ May 31 2005,9:41)]thats awesome, how do they keep the humidity up and such?
I think the plants should be in individual pots just covered up and display for short-term right? ...if not I must really find out how they keep lowlanders and highlanders together!
smile_n_32.gif

THat is a wonderful display, the ampullarias are beautiful! and those plants must be very mature and large!

Anyway, that truncata looks like a lowland form, but I thought BE only sells the highland form?

they are all potted? man they did a great job hiding it and making it look natural! fantastic!

I could live next to that thing.

Do you have bigger versions of those pictures before making them web-friendly? Can I have them?

Really not bad! Wow! Thanks for posting the pics! Bye!
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

erk! SILVER??? They got SILVER for that stupendous display?? *incredulous* What on earth was the GOLD display like?

That is magnificent!

So when is Borneo Exotics gonna start a bidding theme like Exotica Plants? I bid $500 for that adult N. Trusmardiensis, maybe a hundred for the red clustering N. ampullaria, and maybe another hundred for the veitchii highland striped and how about a hundred for the N. diatas Meadow form and , oh, well, let's see, what do I have left for oh, maybe a hundred for that wonderful N. truncata highland form. Anyone wants to outbid me?

Great job on the pics. I wish I were there (after midnight when the show is closed with a mini cooper with the back seats removed,...oh wait a minute, that's a movie I saw. Oh well, that was a good dream while it was in my head.

Bye all, thanks for attending the wonderful show. Any pics of the Talented Mr. Cantley?

Aloha from warm, rainy Hawaii!

MM

Behind the scenes:

They had three days to set the display up, five days that the show was open to the public and a day and a half to take the display down. I was there the morning the show opened but before the public was allowed in (therefore no people in the pics, impossible to do when the show is open) Some are in pots and some were removed from there pots and their roots wrapped in plastic and hidden. This May was the coldest on record. One night the plants were covered with Agri-fleece to protect them. There was a possibility of frost out on the show grounds for those with unprotected plants. The cold may have cost them a Gold as this exhibit was right next to one of the entrances to the Grand Marquee. The wind was bittingly cold on evening. The Marquee is not heated. I did see them changing some plants out or bringing in last minute plants the morning of judging. The award was for silver gilt not silver. The awards go as follows: Gold, Silver-Gilt, Silver and, Bronze. The judging is incredible srtict. Who knows what the judges found wrong in the display. Several of the plants may not have been in absolutly perfect shape. There are security cameras on all points on the show grounds as well as guards. I doubt you would make it over the fence. With over 200 exhibitors and an untold fortune in plants and priceless garden ornaments you have to have top lotch security. I knew you guys would love the pics. I am glad I could get them. It is incredible just to be able to go and see all the displays.BTW, Hampshire CP Nursery, Mathew Soper's business had a beautiful display and got GOLD!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ May 31 2005,9:23)]HOLY......
Jeez anyone care to guess what all the neps are?  Just Kidding
I would like to know:
2nd picture what are all the little Neps around the pool
3rd picture up front on teh left teh little ones
4th picture the red things on the left are ampullaria (I think) but what are the red ones to the right of them?
6th picture the uppers at the top belong to?
Awsome pics!

I will take a stab at the ids...

2- N. vieillardii around the pool
3- N. xiphioides
4- the seperate red clump between the huge red clump of N. ampullaria and the green? More N. ampullaria red.
6- N. maxima??

Thanks Tony!

Brooks what did you help set up?

WOW. *speechless*
smile_k_ani_32.gif

What an incredible display! And that's a huge achievement to have placed so high but I'd still vote for gold myself. That must be just incredible in person.

Thanks for the pics. Something we can all aspire to. HA!
smile.gif

Did you have a good time there Brooks? I watched the live cams but never saw you wave.
smile.gif

Back