Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post your photos here of n. khasiana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

After much speculation with a friend, I am still questioning wether my plant is a khasiana at all. I have seen many plants labelled as N.khasiana on the internet from all over the world.
    I don't even have a Nepenthes book with a photo of N.khasiana so I am finding it difficult to determine its actual identity. The fringed wings are not as prominent in this one as it is in photos on the net. Is that primarily due to wether the plant is a juvenile compared to a mature one? Other reasons are below.

Here are a couple of photos of different pitchers:

N.khasiana photo 1

N.khasiana photo 2

I have had this plant for five years now and its very self satisfying to see it grow into what it has today ( I remeber when it was a small stick with a few leaves. hehe.). I have found in the recent four pitchers it has produced a 'V' shape cut in the top of the lid that appears asymmetrical as shown in this photo:

N.khasiana photo 3

As shown in photo 3, photo 4 below shows the reason why it is producing this 'V' shape. It seems that as the pitcher develops, the middle lower lip of the peristome pushes inwards and as the lid opens, this results in the cut on the lid. Is this common or mainly because of the conditions it is growing in?
    This one grows in full sun outside and is very frost tolerant.

N.khasiana photo 4

It has the common features such as the red strip under the persitome. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
    C

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks ike a khansiana with upper pitchers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks more like N. mirabilis to me...

Perhaps a hybrid between the two?

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Treaqum,

I thought khasiana only produces one type of pitcher.

Tony,
    That was my intial thought. But I don't believe it is mirabilis or a hybrid as I don't think it would be able to grow in temperatures as low as 8 degrees. However the peristome in the above photos are somewhat similar to the mirabilis photo at this link. And I do believe that the peristome is somewhat similar. Even the not so prominent wings are there:

http://www-cp.stech.co.jp/cp/img/nep...lis-anam01.jpg

And then there is a picture found at the site below which looks like the pitchers from last season.

http://www.carnivorousplants.biz/ima...naPitchers.jpg

The somewhat bulbous appearance of the lower part of the pitcher seems to be in both the mirabilis and khasiana.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm gonna back up Tony on this too. It looks alot like the N. xManny Herrera plants that are bouncing around. It's mirabilis x khasiana. It was a really successful cros that Manny did years ago, and there were lots of seedlings handed out all over the US.
    Also, khasiana has a more cap-like lid, almost like a dome shape. Those lids look much more mirabilis like. The "band" below the peristome is a characteristic of khasiana, and I've seen it on some forms of mirabilis too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My N. Khasiana:

My N. x Manny Herrera:

These are the best photos I have at the moment, I can check the peristome shape on the Manny Herrera tonight.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In an earlier topic about the khasiana I asked chi'en lee and he mentioned it was an N.khasiana. However, as it matured, I am not so sure anymore.

That would be great if you could look into that hybrid. I need to know if this is the real thing or not. I'm from AU and not the US so I'm not sure if that plant circulated here.

Here is a photo of the pitcher from last year. I have a few more that exhibit that red flecking as in yours but can't find the photos at the moment. Alot of the earlier pitchers also have the same type of lid and I am now seeing alot of change in the pitchers as they get older and bigger. Mine is already mature and produced one flowerspike already.

Photo taken in winter of 2004

Photo taken in summer of 2004

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took some more photos this morning of my second plant labelled as khasiana. I have also noticed close-up that it has a somewhat veined pitcher. Does khasiana have this trait?

The juvenile pitchers has a dome (cap-like) as you mentioned but as the plant aged I have noticed that each new pitcher was slight different to the previous one.

Photo 9

Photo 10

cheers,
    C

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast