What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody ever get upper pitchers on n. coccinea?

What do they look like?

I have a plant that is about 2 ft tall... the top leaves are producing tendrils that are curling and appear to want to loop around a support, but have not yet pitchered.

well you have at least another two feet. My four foot tall one is laying on the ground, sort of, and has yet to produce upper pitchers.

Give the tendrils something to wrap around. That helps support pitcher production.

Its not rare, although it has ampullaria parentage

http://n-Xcoccinea.mypicgallery.com/

this plant is male, 1 more flower coming up soon!
ANyone interested in pollen?
smile_m_32.gif

It does makes pitchers on uppers.  Mine is solid red with a wide striped peristome.  My plants are about four feet tall, then I hack them down to start from side branches all over again.  They're grown in full Hawaiian sunlight (the kind that will give you a golden tan) next to my N. ventratas and Gentles and Mirandas.  Growing inside of a cement tile wall enclosure, the kind where you normally set your garbage bins outside.  So it gets very very cement wall hot!
I promise to take some photos when I get a new camera.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]the kind that will give you a golden tan

Unless you've just lived through a NY winter. I'm so white right now I'll get shadeburn in Hawaii!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ June 09 2005,3:29)] I'm so white right now I'll get shadeburn in Hawaii!
There is sunblock of SPF 70 FYI.

Its been very hot early this year. I'll be embarrassed to show photos of everything with sun burned leaves. But they'll be lower leaves by winter when our wet weather takes over! (Yeah- pray for rain!)

MM

Back