What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clear pots for neps?

i was curious if anyone has experience/info on using clear plastic pots for neps vs the regular green/black pots? Charles Clarke brings up an interesting point in his book "Nepenthes of Sumatra & Peninsular Malaysia" of high soil temperatures using black plastic pots.  i bought some clear pots like these

cp500-1.jpg

but have not used them yet.

any ideas?

I would think the Nep roots whould not like sunlight like Orchids. Since those are orchid pots. I don't know for sure though. Where do you live? I doubt the temperatures would be that much different in a black pot verses another color. I would recommend white before those though

endparenthesis has a point. You're probably better off with orchid baskets, as they give ventilation. Orchid baskets are pretty well proven for Neps if I'm not mistaken.
~Joe

What size baskets does everyone use? I tried 4 inch but they dried too quickly while hanging. So now I have my "Nep bog" and a couple plants in pots in a trya that rises and falls accordingly.

I grow Genlisea and Utricularia in these clear pots so I can better show kids the traps. I do get algae growth on the sides of the media because of the exposure to light. However, these pots stay a lot wetter then I would keep Neps. I say try it out! You can always carefully slip the root ball back into a regular pot if things go wrong. I have a feeling the plant isn’t going to care much about the pot being clear.

Steve

You will be a lot better off using those pots rather than ones with less drainage. Go for it.
Robin

Back