What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OK, I went overboard taking pictures today. Things are growing nicely, so I went a bit crazy.

First, the elusive lower pitcher of N. x Rokko (they make uppers quickly.)
N_x_Rokko7.sized.jpg

Next, is N. x Manny Herrera, which is a serious vining plant but one that pitchers like crazy:
N_x_Manny_Herrera_4.sized.jpg

Here's a whole-plant picture of N. ramispina, which for me has been an easy, trouble-free grower:
N_ramispina2.sized.jpg

Here's a fun one. I won a cutting at the BACPS raffle a year or two ago and it was labeled N. burkei x villosa. Subsequent pitchering has shown it's most likely N. lowii x ventricosa:
N_lowii_x_ventricosa_2.sized.jpg

Here's N. ventricosa x aristolochioides:
N_ventricosa_x_aristolochiodes10.sized.jpg

Ny N. hamata is experiencing rapid growth. This latest pitcher is the biggest pitcher so far by 50%, and the new leaf is at least that much bigger than this one.
N_hamata5.sized.jpg

I have 2 N. x Predators. This one, for some reason, divided into two growing points. It seems they both are growing equally well, and it makes for a lot of pitchers even if they're a bit smaller than my other one:
N_x_Predator4.sized.jpg

Here's N. truncata x aristolochioides, which should make monster pitchers eventually, judging by the leaf/pitcher size.
N_truncata_x_aristolochioides2.sized.jpg

Speaking of aristo hybrids, ever since I cut the vine on my N. thorelli x aristo, it's made huge lower pitchers (blurry pic):
N_thorelli_x_aristolochioides7.sized.jpg

All of them are grown in a room in my home's lower level. I don't use enclosures or humidifiers, and rely on the cool, humid San Francisco air for temp and humidity control. Hope you enjoy!

Capslock

your N. ramispina is awe-inspiring! aswell as every other plant you have ever grown!

that should qualify you for sainthood, i'm sure of it.

Great plants!

Can you explain us how do you grow your plants?

Federico

I like the ramspina, it reminds me of something from the nightmare before christmas. Can't beat a black pitcher.
the N. truncata x aristolochioides looks pretty cool too. I like the hump in the back.
Looks like a lot of hamata in that predator too. Very nice
And hamata just growing out in the open.... Looks agressive!
Very nice Sir!
Thankyou.

Looks great Max!

Look at all that space between the pots! hehe

Tony

Stunning plants! The lowii x ventricosa is awesome, as the other plants!

LOL Tony, you're right, I'd be envious of *any* space between pots - I even have small pots sitting on the edges of, or on top of, larger pots!

What kind of temp drop at night do you get to sustain such a nice hamata. I've been considering one. Nice plants!

i cant really pick one out as there all superb
smile.gif

Cheers Julian

Love the N. predator, N. hamata and N. ramispina. They look very happy.

Capslock,

great selection! The aristolochioides hybrids are very interesting. I hesitated to get the truncata or thorelli x aristolochioides because it may require a bit of warmth. Are you growing them in highland conditions without heating?

And your x Manny Herrera looks different to the one in the khasiana post.

cheers,
C

Wow, Max! Nice pictures. Beautiful plants! Love that rampsina. I'm trying mine out on the deck right now....Just put it there a few days ago, so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks everyone! To answer a couple questions, my secret to growing highland neps is to live in San Francisco. We have a near-constant cool, humid ocean breeze that makes for almost perfect highland temps. The room they are growing in is about 7 feet by 12 feet. It is attached to my garage level, which keeps fairly steady and cool temperatures. There is a single window in the room in which I have put a 10 inch box fan that blows outside air in 24/7. The plants themselves grow on racks under mostly regular 48" fluorescent tubes, four to a shelf. I also have a shelf with a 400 watt MH light, and a couple of the fluorex cf lights on another shelf. The MH light provides enough heat to get the room up to about 80 degrees on the upper shelves and the mid 70s on the lower shelves during the day, and it goes down to the mid- to upper-fifties overnight.

When selecting cps to grow, I figured it's easiest to NOT fight nature, so I don't grow any lowlands or anything that requires more heat than I can provide. Outdoors, I grow some sarracenia, vfts, and am having especially good luck with cephalotus, which thrives on my deck year round.

So, the secret is: live where the weather is right for your plants! LOL!!! Seriously, people should grow the plants that are appropriate for the conditions they can easily provide.

Oh, and yes that is a different N. x Manny Herrera plant from the other photo I posted. My plantsitter didn't see the other one last summer and killed it by not wattering it for four weeks. So this is a new one.

And one more thing: there is a bit of space in there, but not for long. Tony, you'll be hearing from me. LOL!!!

Capslock

Back