What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. tobaica

About how big do the pitchers on N. tobaica get? Is there a green pitchered varient?
I'm asking because I bought one about 5 months ago (I think it may have been off ebay but I am not sure). It is obviously not ventricosa or alata or any other common knockoff. It is starting to get mature lower pitchers I beleve (assuming the pitchers are small like gracilis, which I thought they were). The ala (wings) are not really present near the base of the pitcher but are near the top. The pitchers are about 5 cm long now. Actually if some one could post a picture of theirs that would be great

I believe the N. tobaica that is currently being circulated is from DeRoos nursery. Its appears green until it larger when its speckled with orange-brown and sometimes with a orangish-red peristome. The largest I have on mine is about four inches currently. Its does grow fast and clumps with age.

N. tobaica looks very similar to N. gracilis and also gets to a similar size. Lower pitchers are up to 10 cm in size. Colour of the pitchers vary from green through pink to deep red.

N_tobaica_120404_B_small.jpg

Joachim

Well mine is probibly from that nursery. Joachim mine does not look like that but the pitchers are probibly not mature. Ah well I suppose I have some intermediate pitchers now.

Hi Tre
Have you any photos of the beasty as it sounds to me like your"tobaica" could be a Khasiana x Ventricosa .i have the same plant you have described when young.Ive got a photo of it when it was young somewhere i will try and dig it out.
Cheers Julian

No photos yet. I'll try later today when the sun isn't shining on them.

These are some pictures of the plant I like to call N. tobaica "Not".

Lower Pitchers

106-0665_IMG.jpg

Upper Pitchers

tobaica not jan 04.jpg

Hi Glen
Her is a lower and upper on my Khasiana x Ventricosa what do you reckon?
100.jpg
101.jpg

The lower is a pitcher that a basal shoot off the mother plant and the upper is off the mother plant ,or should i say father plant as its a male.
 Bye for now  julian

Hi Julian,

Your upper pitcher sure looks different from mine but the lower pitcher looks the same. Was your plant labeled N. tobaica or ventricosa x khasiana? No one seems to be sure what the parentage of this plant is exept the nursery and they aren't giving up the lineage.

Glenn

Hi Glenn
It was ment to be a Khasiana at the time of purchase but as we can see that is not the case.
Bye for now Julian

I'll probibly have to wait until it gets bigger to tell for sure.

Hi Folks,
Glenn, the plant pictured is sold as N. tobaica, but is obviously not. Joachim has pictured a true N. tobaica, which is best described as a highland gracilis. It occupies the eco-niche as gracilis, but it's found at higher altitudes.
The plant you have comes from a large European nursery, R. Deroose, and is obviously a complex hybrid. As you can see from Julian's picture, there is more to it than simply ventricosa x khasiana. This begs the question: Why call it N. tobaica? Why not N. khasicosa, or ventriana, or N. 'Tiger Lips'
confused.gif
?
Maybe the reason they call it 'tobaica' (err) is because tobaica was used in making the hybrid, and typical of other DeRoose hybrids, they named it after the mother plant used to produce the seed that went into tc. When N. 'Miranda' was first introduced, it was sold as N. maxima 'Miranda'. This was later shortened to simply N. 'Miranda'. This strongly implies that N. maxima was the pod parent (mother) of N. Miranda. Dad was almost certainly N. Mixta Superba.
The stoutand vigorous Nep we all call N. ventrata is sold as N. alata...and following the DeRoose naming methodogy, alata was the mother, and ventricosa was the father.
Hopefully this sheds some light on these hybrids.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chesara @ June 07 2005,1:50)]Hi Glen
Her is a lower and upper on my Khasiana x Ventricosa what do you reckon?
100.jpg
101.jpg

The lower is a pitcher that a basal shoot off the mother plant and the upper is off the mother plant ,or should i say father plant as its a male.
 Bye for now  julian
I believe this is a photo of Deroos' N. tobaica. This is the TC clone massed produced and sold everywhere. Anyone wants to elaborate on this? I do not believe its a ventricosa crossed with khasiana. Pitcher/plant seems too small for having both of these larger growing parents.

But upper pitchers of this is not speckled as indicated by your previous post.

MM

Hi
HHmmm wonder what its true parents are then? The uppers do have stripes just very watered down.I suppose its one of those questions that we will never know for sure. oh well its a nice grower and i like it thats the main thing
smile.gif

Bye for now Julian

Our plants of this hybrid display the speckling once up to size and established. Julian's plant is very green for the Deroose plant, especially with pitchers that size. If it is the Deroose clone, his cultural conditions are certainly resulting in a different looking plant from what we get in our conditions, which look like Glenn's plant. The upper trap in Glenn's photo looks like it could have been taken in our greenhouse.

I don't think mine looks like the true species. It looks much more like N. khansiana x. ventracosa

Will the real massed produced N. tobaica please show themselves! I think speckling depends mostly on how much light a plant receives. I have N. tobaica (the plant from Deroos and sold everywhere) in shaded to full sunlight and the coloring varies considerably. From pure green to greenish yellow to speckling with a red peristome in full sunlight.
I also have N. tobaica from seed from BE and the coloring varies even more, from green to yellow to orange, red and purple! Pitcher shape is also different.

If the plant Deroos is a hybrid, I think that the pitchers are too small for a khasiana hybrid. All my N. khasiana hybrids have huge hefty pitchers, more tall cylindrical than tubby, and with a more developed peristome than N. tobaica (Deroos).

MM

Absolutely RFG.,
The old hybrid N. 'Emmarene' (khasiana x ventricosa)was made by Ron Pratt many years ago in Miami and they do not look like the Deroose 'tobaica'. They have much larger pitchers.

Back