What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water quality

I was just wondering what quality water everyone uses to water/mist their Nepenthes, and their thoughts on how water quality affects the plants' growth and general health.

Here is my setup: I use a single reverse osmosis membrane to filter the water coming from my garden tap.  As it passes through the membrane, the water slowly collects in a 5 gallon tank.  There is a T-connector between the membrane and the tank with a third tube connected to a timer.  The timer automatically controls the watering of the neps from above several times daily.  

I have measured the water quality or TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) count to be around the 60 ppm mark.  Anyone know the quality of their water or have any opinions on its importance to the successful cultivation of these plants?

Looking forward to hearing your views,
Nep_grower.

I don't know the TDS of my RO water; I get it from the grocery store. I suppose I would measure it if I had my own filter, just to keep track of when things need maintenance. However, I understand that the quality of water is less important to Nepenthes than most other CPs... I believe that the Savage Gardge mentions something about some species growing on leaf litter accumulated on a bedrock of limestone. All I know is that they vastly prefer RO water to desalinated tap water. :)
~Joe

i use distilled to water and well water for the humidifier. i should use distilled for the humidifier but i don't and theres no residue/ill effect so i don't bother.

do you grow N. sp. viking?

I was using distilled water for years, but just bought an RO filter to save money, trips to the store, and time.  

My tap water is 31PPM at worst, and after RO it is 1-2, after DI it is 0.  My water quality seems to be unusually good though.  I could probably use tap water if it weren't for the chlorine/chemicals.

The CP FAQ says to use water that is 50PPM or less, but I have also read that Nepenthes are less picky about minerals in water, like seedjar mentioned.  It is probably more important to feed them when using purer water though.

Edit: What's the water quality like before the RO? Are you using prefilters to protect the membrane? Tony told me that chlorine can destroy it rather quickly.

-Ben

Sharp229,

Wow, the quality of your tap water is incredibly good! My tap water is very hard, around 500 ppm. I have a seperate RO unit (6-stage) and that gives water of 0 ppm, but for the automatic watering system I just use a reverse osmosis membrane, without any prefilters (cheaper, and water accumultaes much more rapidly). I wasn't aware that without a prefilter chlorine could destroy the RO membrane. Have to look into that...

Did some research. You were right.

"It is very important to determine the style of reverse osmosis membrane your system uses. It will either be a CTA membrane or a TFC style membrane. CTA membranes are made to allow contact with chlorine in the water. TFC membranes are chlorine "intolerant" and cannot come into contact with chlorine. The chlorine will destroy a TFC membrane."

http://www.waterfiltersonline.com/comparisons.asp

I checked my type of RO membrane and it is TFC... have to add a prefilter pronto.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ June 06 2005,6:07)]do you grow N. sp. viking?
Yep, I made a thread about it. Probably on page two by now.

Wow, that IS pretty hard water. I can see why the RO output might be a bit higher. As for the chlorine problem, I am very grateful I learned about it here as I didn't see any warnings when I was looking for an RO system. I just hope there aren't any other peculiarities I don't know about, since I am a real newbie in the water purification area.

For Tony's original explanation of this, you can go to this link, last post on the page:

http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....8;st=10

You won't find many retail systems with CTA membranes any more. The rejection rate is not nearly as good as TFC. btw.. the CTA membrane SHOULD have chlorine in the water. It is made from cellulose and without something in the water to prevent bacteria etc. it will get eaten by microorganisms.

NepGrower I am surprised your getting 60ppm even with 500ppm feed water. Perhaps it is time to replace the membrane also? 60ppm is still fine though. for Nepenthes and well many other CPs also provided they get flushed periodically and dont' accumulate minerals from sitting in trays.

Tony

5 stage spectra pure RO/DI the SP2000-90 unit for me. 90 GPD.

I use it for all my watering needs. Misting, watering, and washing.

Can you guess what my TDS is?
biggrin.gif

Back