What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outdoor culture south florida?

Hi all- I am a new member wanting to grow Nepenthes outdoors in South Florida.

I am in USDA Zone 10b (Greater Ft. Lauderdale area) and so far understand that I should limit myself to lowland species because of the lack of night time temp drops?

I am hoping to integrate a collection of Nepenthes along side some of my orchids- I understand that culture is similar (with the obvious exclusions). I was actually hoping to make contact with other folks growing these plants outdoors in this climate or locate a club nearby- any ideas?

I am also hoping for some species recommendations, and a general guide to outdoor culture specifically- any websites or books you could suggest would be most helpful.

I have yet to purchase any CP's but since I have been researching them I am now wondewring what in the heck took me so long to discover them!! They seem fascinating plants and I look forward to enjoying a rewarding new family of plants- as soon as I am able to discern which species I am best able to provide for.

I'm in North Florida. Juan Carlos is also in Ft. Lauderdale also. And a hope over to the gulf coast can show you a place. Its near fort myers.

Welcome to the forums! There are several folks on the forums who are from Florida. Not mentioned are: Flytrapogurl, Daydreamergurl, Snowy Falcon, Buster1, Dyflam...

I'm interested, too, even though I am NOT from Fla! I am contemplating putting hanging baskets of Neps outside in SE PA.

Welcome Cearbhaill!
Couple of recomendations for you....As a beginner, you may want to start out with a couple of hybrids to get your feet wet. They tend to be a little more forgiving than pure species. I can recomend N x 'Coccinea' and N x 'Miranda' as excellent candidates for you.

If you really want to go the pure species route, I would say that your best bet (in my experience) would be N. ampularia or N. rafflesiana. They are the easiest lowland species that I grow. Also perhaps N. gracilis.

I'm sure some other people will chime in with some more ideas.

N. ampularia was the worst lowlander I grew. I'd pick gracilis (best looking bugger with tons of pitchers on those stems). Although N. bical seems fairly easy right now.

Cearbhaill, I live in Fort Lauderdale also.  I have a N. gentle, a bical and a tobiaca x mirabilis that are growing great.  I had a coccinea but it got so big, four feet from top to bottom, that I had to give it to a friend.

Actually, just about anything you plant will grow down here.  I haven't tried  2 x 4's yet.

Hey, welcome to the forums. I've been growing CPs outside in miami for several years with great success. As far as easy plants, N. coccinea and miranda do well here.

Here are a couple of tips I learned the hard way:
1 Overpot
2 Overpot more
3 Use mostly long fibered spahgnum (you don't need to get too fancy with all the extra stuff)

I will PM you with more info.

Regards, Jonathan

Back