What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. edwardsiana

you woudl have loved it Joe, it was spectacular and the lighting was perfect.

Greetings and salutations Root!
This group is a wonderful assortment of enthusiasts, commercial growers and old timers. We all come from various ways of life, across many barriers and yet we are all bound together as nepenthophiles.

We've all started from zero to end up where we are today. Whether you grow highland, lowland or own the commonest or rarest types, the goals of this group is to enrich the next with the fruit of knowledge.

Please reconsider and be a part of this group and further the expansion of knowledge and advancement in this wonderful journey we've all chosen.

Its not about having the best, or picture perfect plants, its about being part of this group that helps support one another and brings everyone closer together.

We are all beginners and at the same time we know so much more than our fellow plant friends. Let's continue this and begin again.

Aloha,

Michael

What would be some comparible neps for cultivation tips, or would few know that, lol?

Cheers,

Joe

If only that was in my greenhouse
smile_h_32.gif
fantastic photo of a remarkable plant.
Cheers Julian

Great pictures. I've heard that there might be a few of these floating around as seedlings. Sure wish that I knew where to get one....

There are a few edwardsiana in cultivation, although I suspect quite a few of them are more likely to be macrophylla as the seed was from Tambuyukon (edwardsiana is endemic to a small site on Trusmadi). In cultivation, it is a slow grower, liking true highland conditions (that is likes it cooler than macrophylla but not as cold as villosa). It is not as rare as one would think, but many will not admit to growing it as the seed was probably less than legally sourced (then again, that goes for many species in cultivation)

I have heard rumours of it being in tissue culture, although the likely source at this stage will neither confirm nor deny the rumours.

Yeah I agree Dustin, a cutting would give it more side growth!
smile_m_32.gif
 We should suggest that to the grower
smile_m_32.gif

So SydneyNeps, your saying there is only one type of edwardsiana
confused.gif

I thought there were at least 3 different kinds. Charles Clark has a picture in his book of edwardsiana from both Mnt. kinabalu, and Mnt. tambuyukon. Then there is this red version in the pics I just linked. There are more pics of the red one on Phill Manns site. It looks different than the ones from either kinabalu, or tambuyukon.
Perhaps that is the one from trusmadi??

There is still debate as to what is what, edwardsiana, macrophylla, villosa. All three are very closely related.

But I'd also say that whatever Charles has stated, I'd not disagree with. Charles has a sensible and pragmatic approach to taxonomy, and has a very keen eye, so I'd be loathe to contradict him.

Is M. edwardsiana the last frontier in nepenthes cultivation? It seems that almost everything else is available or at least is around. What species other than the exotic newly described species is still unavailable?

I may set up a special post for this topic since it will stray away from the N. edwardsiana. I must say that the photo of N. edwardsiana is a gorgeous one.

I think that seedlings will be the first introduction to horticulture. The next batch will be from tc starters.

MM

I have to say definitely not. Edwardsiana has people's imaginations at the moment because it's not commercially available, but it's not the be all and end all. I can remember when species that are considered common now were the 'must haves' of the moment. There are plenty of new species around, I have a couple of friends who've come back from Sumatra, Sulawesi and Borneo in the last few years with seed of what they believe to be new species, and we're just waiting to see how the seedlings turn out. There are also plenty of areas in Indonesia and PNG that are perfect Nepenthes habitats that are completely unexplored, so new species are still out there in the views of many.

There's some really exciting stuff around at the moment, but you'll not hear about it until it's formally described. As you know, whoever describes first gets the kudos, so those who've found new species keep it secret until it's been published, telling only a few trusted people. It can take years to get things published, so it's a timing issue.

So, as I always say, be patient, and you'll see some cool stuff.

Hamish

Hi guys

Hamish wrote:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There are a few edwardsiana in cultivation, although I suspect quite a few of them are more likely to be macrophylla as the seed was from Tambuyukon (edwardsiana is endemic to a small site on Trusmadi).

I don't think edwardsiana occurs on Trus Madi at all.
The type specimen and the image in Charlie's book are from a small spur on the side of Mt Kinabalu called Marai Parai.

Cheers, Troy.

Sorry Troy, you're absolutely correct - Marai Parai it is (small part of Kinabalu, not Trusmadi), along with burbidgeae. Brain fart on my part
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Hey Hamish

No probs!
I'll be up there this time next week so I'll try and get some piccies.

Cheers, Troy.

I always thought, as Hamish said there are similarities between villosa,edwardsiana and macrophylla, villosa is kind of the oddball, its short fat and has fine teeth whilst macrophylla has larger teeth but "set into" its peristome and edwardsiana has more teeth, larger and very protruded from the pitcher itself. I think they are quite a disjunct group of cousins.

Troy,

Seeing how you have experience there on Kinabalu, and know how things work there, what are the chances of, in the future, of a authorized collection of a few seed for tc purposes?

Cheers,

Joe

Hi Joe

Sadly I'm afraid the chances are zilch, as far as I am aware.
They are VERY protective of Marai Parai, it is closed to the public and getting a permit to go up there is difficult. We have asked about collecting seed and been denied and I wouldn't dare try and sneak some as it would kill any future chances of going up there again.

I will, of course, be asking again when we are actually there, but definitely no promises.

Cheers, Troy.

Whom are "they" and couldn't they simply fetch you a seed pod? I don't think thats asking too much personally...1 pod off a plant that not many of the native people could care about. I understand the park personel are probably sticklers though.

Back