What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Malathion for scale

Can I use malathion safely on neps? I'm asking about the neps, I know the risks to me. I think I've used it on sarracenia and orchids, but don't remember ever spraying anything to my neps in the last 6 years.

Some ants appered on my terrarium some days ago and you know what that means ... some plants will get fat, and the enclosed ecosystem will evolve in complexity (scale on some plants). I saw scale on one plant.

Use Malathion only as a wetable powder, such as Malathion 50 wp. The liquid stuff uses a petroleum distilate base and will burn Nepenthes.

The one I have is a powder.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ilex @ June 10 2005,4:56)]Can I use malathion safely on neps? I'm asking about the neps, I know the risks to me. I think I've used it on sarracenia and orchids, but don't remember ever spraying anything to my neps in the last 6 years.
That is one of the side effects of malathion. You cannot remember ever spraying anything. It is a great marketing ploy to get you to spray more frequently. Hmmm. Did I spray that already today?
smile_m_32.gif

Pesticide use is a specialty of mine. If you can find it, use Merit. It works 100% with no ill effects. If you're using a mist bottle, just use a dash, like one eighth of a teaspoon. It really works, no phyto burns or deformities. Its also great with white flies, aphids and mealies. Any sucking insects.
I an also suggest Orthene WP (make sure its wettable powder as the petroleum distillate products will burn and deform new growth.

Its expensive but a bottle will last you a while. maybe split the cost of a bottle and split it between several growers/friends. In Hawaii, it sells for about $45 per bottle (small, like a quarter pint size). But I will probably never need to buy another bottle again.

MM

Back