What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BigCarnivourKid

It's been one of dem days
Got really bored today and decided to take pics of my plant collection. Some of them even turned out OK
smile_n_32.gif

This is my N. 'Judith Finn'. I got it a year ago last April. It has grown at a steady rate inspite of me forgetting to water it occasionally.
N%20%D7Judith%20Finn%20top.jpg

and a picture of a couple pitchers.
N%20%D7Judith%20Finn.jpg

One of my N. ventricosas with a nice flower spike. I have a second one also getting ready to flower, but it's not as large as this one. I think they will both be males. If anyone is interested in pollen, let me know.
N%20ventricosa.jpg

This is the N. gracilis I got from Schloaty in April of last year. It pitchers slowly for me (low humidity) but otherwise does well. The first picture is of the top half of the plant and the second is of the basil shoot. Notice the change in leaf size between the top leaves and the ones just above the bare section of stem in the first pic. The leaves did this after I put a few Osmocote pellets on the soil. The leaves got larger and greener almost immediately. I even had a nice sized pitcher started until I broke it off (still kicking myself for that little bit of carelessness). The leaves are starting to get a slight yellow color to them again, so I will drop a few more pellets on the soil.
N%20gracilis.jpg

The basil shoot
N%20gracilis%20basil%20shoot.jpg

Hope you liked them
smilie4.gif

Nice Steve, I like your Judith Finn. May I ask how much Osmocote you use? I don't think I've heard of that before... I have a huge thing of Osmocote and nothing to use it on because my collection is almost entirely CPs now. It would be great if I could put it to use with my Neps.
~Joe

They look happy ;>

Joe there are a couple threads pinned in the Nepenthes forum on feeding. I highly recommend everyone to read them. Particularly folks that are growing indoors in closed terrariums!

Tony

Joe I can't really tell you how much I use other than to say "only a few pellets". I do it more by "feel" than by strict measured amounts. I will use less Osmocote this next time around. The first dose was to jump the nutrient levels up. The next will be to maintain some nutrients (not a lot) in the soil so they don't drop too low again.

BCK, nice to see the gracilis is doing pretty well! As summer approaches, at least around here, we get quite a jump in ambient humidity...You may see some pitcher developement. If you don't break them off, that is!

Can we use Osmocote if the medium is LFS?

yup.

SPGE, fertilizer may incourage the growth of algea on the LFS. I don't know how live sphag. moss would react to fertilizer, but I suspect it might not care for it.

Steve, thx for ur advice, but most of my nep. are planted with the LFS. Does it mean I have to transplant them?

Naw, LFS is fine. Algae is just unsightly and can be controlled in part by flushing the pots when you water them so the fertilizer doesn't build up in them. My N. 'Judith Finn' is in LFS.

Back