What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting thought on n. lowii

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
could the nectar contain a laxative to "stimulate" birds?

just an idea.

It certainly could, although I wonder about the utility of it... it would have to be a pretty fast acting laxative to benefit the plant in particular that's secreting it.
~Joe

It may have a sort of drug for insects!

almost all of them do
smile.gif

My thought about the peculiar N. lowii pitchers is this. Being in an understory forest (I am assuming) birds are prevalent throughout on trees and on vives, even of N. lowii. Its a known fact that a white substance is secreted underthe lids, which on a matured pitcher appears like a bowl of food. Birds upon seeing this can't resist and feed voraciously on it. This could be the "laxative" to stimulate them. The constricted middle would prevent a lot of debris from falling in to mix the contents with its goal, bird droppings. The coarse pitchers would seem that they are bird proof and allow even larger birds to feed on the exudates without damage to the pitchers.

I seriously doubt that shrews would feed to get trapped by the pitchers (as indicated in the Savage Garden, D'Amato) but definitely birds would.

Michael

Back