What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pics

ventrata
ventrata.jpg

a very fuzzy N. veitchii pitcher bud inflating
veitchii123.jpg

a small N. veitchii pitcher that hasnt gotten much light
veitchii134.jpg

Ile de France
iledefrance234.jpg

and a new one of my jac hybrid(ive got more but havent messed with them in photoshop yet, they are huge files)
hybridnew.jpg

Nice!

Love that veitchii.

me too, wish it grew a bit faster but only a couple cuttings every great once in a while is possible. the pitchers last FOREVER though

Nice collection, i like very much your veitchii pitcher too.
Is it a difficult plant to grow ?

Very nice.

no, not really. it has been growing in a half open clear plastic bag for about 10 months now for me. the bag is because we have normally quite low humidity in the winters here. our house is generally kept cool at night because we sleep better with it cool. this one is a highland variety but is quite content with drops down into the 60-65 range and no lower. i hope to get a plexi growth chamber built at some point but its ben happy growing more or less in the open bag. if you have good humidity and a dip in temps at night it would be a sinch to grow and pitcher.

We all agree that your N. veitchii is superb! what form or source is it from? If a cutting grown plant, do you know its sex?

I also liked your N. jac x izumiae. Mine looks like that one exactly!

Michael

it is a female and i hop to find a striped male veitchii to cross it with when it blooms again. i got it as a cutting from Orchids Limited. they had a huge one on display at there place outside of Minneapolis when i went through there last August. it took lots of begging and purchasing alot of orchids before he would sell me a cutting. the original plant may or may not still be in existance. last time i talked to the owner(several months ago atleast), an employee had forgotten to water it while he was on vacation. dont know how you would miss watering such a large plant in the middle of the greenhouse but they managed it. there must have been over 20 feet of veitchii growing around a simmulated tree trunk, it was awesome! when i saw it i had to have a piece. it has been the most expensive plant that i have purchased($50 for a cutting) but i havent regretted it one second

Well worth the price! Imagine, it may be the only piece left on this planet! I hope all their orchids die for forgetting to water such a prize (Just kidding)!

Any way, when you get your growing that large, I'll buy a cutting!

Great job in getting it going!!!

Best Wishes, and even if you don't find a striped male, crossing it with a non-striped male could still yield very striped offspring.

MM

welp it isnt the only one in existance reguardless of weather Orchids limited's orignal plant died. i took one cutting early this spring that is now in very good hands and there will be atleast one more cutting going to another forum member. i chopped the vine a few weeks ago(it was the better part of 3 feet long) into a couple pieces as the original leaves were looking ragged which i have seen happen with cuttings. all new growth since i got it look wonderful, but the original 8 leaves that were on the original cutting were looking a bit poor. the plant grows at a fairly good clip and i figure i can put a cutting or two up for trade on a yearly basis. but it will be another year before i have any extras again more than likley.

Back