What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aloha Joachim,
Getting off the subject slightly, I noticed that you're using those semi translucent pots. How are they and have you experienced any algae problems or moss growing inside below soil level?
Is your clone of N. talangensis from Wistuba? or Borneo Exotics?

Great shot of that peristome!

Michael

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Can you tell us which clone you're growing, is it a TC plant?

Hi Joachim! Nice to hear from you.

The specimen of N. talangensis shown is from TC, by way of Australia. It is quite lovely, and I thank you for sharing it! BTW, do you find your variety easy to grow? Most of the specimens I've acquired are a bit touchy....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (neps @ June 17 2005,1:24)]BTW, do you find your variety easy to grow? Most of the specimens I've acquired are a bit touchy....
Hi Jeff,

I made the same experience with the three different clones I grow. Especially in summer when night temperatures don't drop much my plants suffer considerably. The growing tip of my oldest plant died few weeks ago and I still hope it'll produce a new offshot. Similar to your experience with N. villosa small plants seem to be more tolerant to less than ideal conditions.

Michael, I don't have any problems with these pots, but I'm not fertilizing as much as others might do. I don't know the origin of this plant. I got this plant as rooted cutting from a friend who initially got it from Paul Debbert.

Joachim

Huh interesting. I have never had any issues with N. talangensis.

ok the $64million question. How big do you think N. villosa needs to get before it will flower?

Tony

Hi,

I have to agree with Tony in my hands in N.talangensis is quite a fast grower although I suspect that we may have some of the same clones.

Tony, how do you find the BE N.villosa? This is in my hands is also a good grower I have plants fom other suppliers that are much slower.

Simon

I got my N. villosa from Simon (I think the BE clone) and it is growing fairly fast, faster than my other plants, it produce pitcher at every leaf. Unfortunately the day temps are too high for it (26), but the plant isn't soffering at all.

Expect to have some more problems as soon the plant will reach a mature age.Now it has her micro-clima in its little pot.
The problems will begin later. Wish you the best.

Mr_Aga

Federico,

I grow my villosa outside in summer (not in direct sunlight) and they love it. By the way your other 2 plants are on the way

Simon

love the villosa..
it looks great!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] How big do you think N. villosa needs to get before it will flower?

A valid question. Based upon experience with other species, I surmise that the plant should have to be approximately fully grown before this would occur. And, according to Clarke, the leaves of N. villosa are 25 cm, or less, in length. However, that having been said, I've seen some species flower long before they reached the full size attributed to them in the literature, no doubt due to size variations, as well as to the fact that some individuals simply flower more readily than others.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have to agree with Tony in my hands in N.talangensis is quite a fast grower although I suspect that we may have some of the same clones.

May I ask what the conditions are under which you are growing this species, Simon? And, whence did you obtain your clones?

Hi Jeff,

I have several talangensis clones all originating from BE. All of the plants are growing in pure live sphagnum and were about the same size when I obtained them. Interestingly, my best plant is growing in a 'living' tree fern pot and I have noticed almost without exception that all the speceis that I have growing in these type of pots are doing better (this is based upon a 2yr observation period). The only downside is that when the plants get too large repotting is difficult because the roots grow into the pots.

Cheers

Simon

My original N. talangensis is from Wistuba (if I recall). It grew on an East windowsill for a couple years and then went into the greenhouse. The poor thing was constantly getting chopped down for cuttings as soon as it was a few inches high! This past Fall I let the poor thing alone and it is now 5-6" tall with 1" pitchers. The BE plants I got last Fall at about 2" are now 3-4" and showing some color.

I don't really do anything special to them. They are in with all my other plants in intermediate/highland conditions year round. The only difference I would note is they seem to appreciate nice bright light. The leaves are fairly leathery and thick.

Tony

Hello,

I received a young Talangensis from England, but as i don't have yet a cold chamber, if i keep the plant during the day in a terrarium with much light and quite warm, can i put it by the night in my fridge ?
Is there a risk ? Cos i heard that this plant need 5° by the night.

Thank you,

Kinabalu

How old is that N. villosa? Mine is just under a year old and not even close to that size. It has been growing better since I've been putting it in the fridge at night.

Yes, how old is that villosa. There is some debate whether it takes 5 or 10 years for upper pitchers?

smile_k_ani_32.gif
*Is stunned over the villosa*

Kinabalu: You could try putting it in the fridge for a few nights and see how it does. I would keep it in a plastic bag to keep the humidity up a little, although it shouldn't really be a problem. I know of many people who do this with highlands that need a temp drop but I don't know about talangensis specifically.

NineteenNine: Nice Calvin & Hobbes Sunglasses graphic.

-D. Lybrand

Back