What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's been quite a while since I've done any plant photography, so decided to take a few new shots today to record progress. Since a few of them turned out halfway decently, thought I would post them for you to enjoy!
smile.gif

A quick shot of N. talangensis. This is a beautiful species, but in my experience, not the easiest to grow. It seems to prefer consistently cold nights. This pitcher is about 5 cm tall.
talengensis.jpg

N. tenuis is a lovely little species, and its pitchers are very small. This one is only about 2 cm tall.
tenuis.jpg

N. villosa continues to do well, so thought I'd post some pics showing its progress. Based on my experience growing this plant over the past few years, I believe that it can truly be grown to maturity in cultivation. Someday, I'm hoping that I can get it to flower.

Pitcher view, above:
villosaAbove.jpg

Pitcher view, side:
villosaSide.jpg

Pitcher view, peristome detail (sadly, depth of field is limited here):
villosaDetail.jpg

Finally, a shot with my hand, for scale:
villosaHand.jpg

If anyone has any questions about these plants and their cultivation, please ask.
smilie4.gif

I'm drooling, just so you know.

Capslock

stunning, just stunning. you need to cross that N. villosa witn N. hamata, that should be a top notch interesting hybrid thats more temp tollerant than N. villosa..............stunning, just stunning

The villosa is absolutely fabulous!
I'm green with envy!

When your N. villosa does flower, could you cross it with a lowlander like N. truncata or maybe N. ampullaria so i could grow it here?

Its awesome how old is it (for the new guys who just came online very recently)?
Is it from TC or seed?

Michael

Love the N. villosa.

Real nice pics Neps! Great villosa.
Maybe we can talk ya into posting a couple more?
Thanks for sharing.,
Robin
smile.gif

Hi Jeff
Very nice indeed the Villosa is amazing
smile.gif

Bye for now Julian

DANG! That villosa is marvelous! Not to take anything away from the other two, which are also very attractive, but the villosa takes the cake.

If you do manage to get it to flower, then you are trully the master.

Never seen such a healty villosa! I hope mine will grow in that way. Fortunately i'm just 20, so I will have time too see my villosa grow to maturity...if it doesn't die before
biggrin.gif

Glad that you all enjoyed the images, and thanks to you for the kind words.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Fortunately i'm just 20, so I will have time too see my villosa grow to maturity...if it doesn't die before

Actually, N. villosa, while not speedy by any means, is not as glacial in its rate of growth as many people think. In about three years, my largest plant (pictured) has increased at least four-fold in size. Once suitably cool conditions are provided, this species' rate of growth increases markedly.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If you do manage to get it to flower, then you are trully the master.

Only a master of evil, Darth....
laugh.gif

Seriously, I'm no master, just hooked on plants. Hopefully, however, this plant will flower at some point. If it does, I'll let you know.

Hmmm, methinks that modesty is misplaced... Few would have collections that rival yours, Jeff.

I haven't seen the mysterious N. edwardsiana previously posted and then removed, but I must say that the villosa is one heck of a plant!

Please tell us your other secrets in making it grow. Media? fertilizing/fertilizer? pot size, pot type, do you play any knid of music to it to make it grow faster, or anything else you might add to help it get to where it is today.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Michael

any more pics of that tenuis?

EDIT, whoa I hit a 1000 posts.....took me long enough....
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hmmm, methinks that modesty is misplaced...

You guys are makin' me blush....

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Please tell us your other secrets in making it grow. Media? fertilizing/fertilizer? pot size, pot type, do you play any knid of music to it to make it grow faster, or anything else you might add to help it get to where it is today.

Sure, happy to share what I've learned. Personally, I think that the single most crucial issue involved in the successful cultivation of this species is ensuring that it is kept fairly cool. Temps from 3 or 4 C to about 18 C work well. Lighting should be bright, but not to the point of burning the leaves. I use a couple of ordinary 40 W fluorescent shop lamps, on a 13 hour photoperiod. Bulbs are replaced about every eight months or so. Personally, I don't really think that fancy lighting is needed.

My plants grow in a roughly 1:1 mix of fine orchid bark and charcoal, with a bit of peat and sphagnum thrown in for moisture retention. Choice of pot is a large orchid basket, which allows excellent drainage.

I feed individual pitchers when they open, and also fertilize about every four to six weeks with a dilute mixture of Ephiphyte's Delight, plus a liquid micronutrient compound which I don't remember by name (both about 1/8th strength) . Plants are watered through with RO purified water every other day or so.

Really, that's about it. Temperatures are key, though. I would not advise cultivation of this species if you cannot provide the appropriate temperature regime....

Oh, one more thing: be patient. Leave the plant alone.
smile_l_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]any more pics of that tenuis?

Probably not just yet....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (neps @ June 14 2005,7:47)]... Since a few of them turned out halfway decently, ...

A quick shot of N. talangensis. This is a beautiful species, but in my experience, not the easiest to grow. It seems to prefer consistently cold nights. This pitcher is about 5 cm tall.
talengensis.jpg
Hi Jeff,

Ok, Ihave to admit, your pictures are in fact only halfway decently!
smile.gif
smile.gif

The N. talangensis clone you're showing looks interesting. It is considerable different from the plants I grow. I.e. a similar sized pitcher of a plant I got few weeks ago:

N_talangensis_040605_A.jpg

http://home.arcor.de/j.danz/N_talangensis_040605_B.jpg

The peristome is wider, the wings are much more narrow and the texture is considerable different.

Can you tell us which clone you're growing, is it a TC plant? - Hmm, I think a fourth N. talangensis won't hurt...
smile_m_32.gif

Cheers Joachim

Back