What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes cuttings

I planted a Nepenthes cutting in LFS three months ago.  (I think it’s Nepenthes x ventrata, but I’m not sure since it wasn’t labeled when I bought it.)  At that time I put some rooting hormone on the entire section of the cutting that was buried in the LFS.  Yesterday I thought it might need to be repotted in a larger container, so I took it out of the LFS to take a look.  The roots were only a couple of inches or less in length, so I didn’t repot it.  However, I noticed that the roots emerged only from the very bottom of the cutting, where the interior of the stem was exposed.  Maybe roots will appear later in other parts of the cutting.  However, I was wondering if in the future I should make a notch in the cutting an inch or so from the bottom to encourage more root growth.  Or maybe even a couple of notches at different levels.  Anyone have any ideas about this?

What I do is make vertical slits with a razor blade in the stem just deep einough to cut through the outer skin from the base to about 3/4 inch up. I make at least four such cuts around the stem's circumference. This should dramatically increase the rooted area.

Capslock.

Now THAT is useful information! *brandishes utility knife*

I cut on a bias, then I skin the stem so there is about 1cm of skinless core. Then dip that in some rootone....

i leave the plant in the pot, cut the top off, and each node produces a new shoot. i cut it up after the shoots are big enough.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What I do is make vertical slits with a razor blade in the stem just deep einough to cut through the outer skin from the base to about 3/4 inch up. I make at least four such cuts around the stem's circumference. This should dramatically increase the rooted area.
I do the same thing. It greatly increases the area where roots grow out.

Hello!
I already did cuttings og Nepenthes already 3 times I didn't have any problems.To increase also the chances for letting the cutting of nepenthes survive I also recomend to make also ssome cutting with a knife in the circonference!
I also keep the cuttings very wet as the would be sarracenias (water in the pot).
Bye!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

I just cut, remove lower leaves and also cut upper leaves in half (cross sectional to reduce transpiration) and dip in a rooting powder (IF I have any) and use LFS in a smallish pot. Keep shaded and moist at all times. When new growth appears, I usually note two months from that time the plant will be ready to transplant.

N. Ventrata roots very easily though.

Michael

what about all this talk about notches?!? Just cut, strip, trim and root!

I also confirm shadow but light place and about 2 months to have the plants ready for repotting. Put all the cutting in 1 cm of water. My temperature is around 25 Celcius.
If you need more than 2 months for the cuttings,this means that somethings is slowing down the procedure of the cuttings (not enough Shadow light,temperature,water).
ONE LAST TIP : it is important to give to cutting lots of humidity (close them all in a trasparent container with just a little hole on the top).
Bye!

Mr_Aga

Back