What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are some outstanding colorful hybrids?

I've always thought morganiana was nice.
smile.gif

Possible future hybrids of some nepenthes desirable for your collection:

N. rajah x hamata
N. edwardsiana x hamata
N. lowii x hamata
N. macrophylla x hamata
N. villosa x hamata
N. platychila x hamata
N. Alisaputrana x hamata
N. Kinabaluensis x hamata
N. Trusmardiensis x hamata

See a pattern developing here?

Now replace regular hamata with fuzzy hamata and let's do this all over again!

Michael

Hmmmm, this jury is still out on hamata hybrids, the 3 that I've seen all have the hamata peristome highly supressed, at least in lowers. I think it could be a good hybridiser for other species with a prominent peristome like villosa, macrophylla, edwardsiana, and even diatas. Where peristomes are reduced or smooth in the partner, I think the traits will be quashed.

Still want to see the best of the lowland crossed to the best of the highland. Neps for everyone! How about (northiana x rajah), and the reciprocal for sheer size and show.

from what ive seen of the Preditor hybrids i was actually quite surprised on how much N. hamatas teeth have come through. i was expecting much less in the way of teeth in the hybrid. i think N. hamata has alot of potential as a hybrid parent. large flairing peristrome species just may not be the best mate for it.

maxima (dark) x spectabilis
maxima_dark_x_spectabilis_open.JPG

I really like this hybrid. its such a vigorous grower and likes to climb!

cheers,
C

A new plant has come into full pitcher for me. After seeing many seedlings and what looked like cloned duplicates, a seedling from EP of N. lowii x veitchii has opened up. The pitchers are a deep maroon soild with some light outer flecks, but the peristome is a reverse stripe with solid red peristome and very few fine green stripes and a solid red umbrella lid! Plus the underside of the lid has a few seven O' clock shadows hanging!

Michael

I'm interested to see how rowanae hybrids come out. Rod Kruger has some rowanae hybrid seedlings at the moment, which I can't wait until they show some mature characteristics. One thing I think will be good about them is that rowanae has strongly coloured uppers, just as coloured as lowers. So many species that I love produce plain green or light-coloured uppers that the hybrids have awesome lowers but bland uppers. Rowanae could be the salve to this.

What did Rod use in his rowanae hybrids?

the two favorites that i currently have are:

jacquelineae x izumiae(this is the 3rd(left) and 1st(right) pitchers since i got it, its a fairly quick grower)

2750a072.jpg

and my N. eymae x veitchii(cant wait for uppers!)

310c7971.jpg

Hi Sheridan
They are very nice.
Bye for now Julian

Anything that has N. aristolochioides in it always looks great. Now if I knew where to get some.....

N. x medusa (bellii x sibuyanensis)
is very nice from the pictures of plants with softbal sized traps I've seen. I've had my plant for a month and am growing it in lowland conditions. It is about six inches wide and it makes a new leaf every 2 weeks. It's a quick grower and it's heritage will probably prevent the plant from growing very large. It seems to be one of those "bombproof" hybrids. The only downside is that it may be reluctant to pitcher due to it's partent species(both can be mediocre producers of traps). That's why I am growing it in roughly 95% humidity.
I hastilly bought it on Ebay last month for $55. I notced it today on Cook's for $10.
mad.gif

Back