What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. bongso vs ovata

lol

BANNED
I'm trying to decide which one to get. Could you please tell me which one gets bigger, grows faster, is tougher, or just the best. I've grown a bongso before, and it quickly became one of my favs. before it met its demise... Thanks, apreciate it
biggrin.gif
!

Bongso definitely grows faster - it's a very easy, fast growing species. Ovata is much slower. Both are similar in size, colour and shape, although there are differences between the two. Ovata pitchers are often tubbier. Bongso would be the one you're after, although I'd never say it was 'better' than ovata.

If you like broad peristomes, I think ovata has a bigger one than bongso.

N. bongso is a quick grower and quite hardy and adaptable. i havent grown ovata yet though. i dont think one is nessisarily better than the other but bongso shouldnt disappoint you in the least.

Hi
I dont grow Ovata but i do grow Bongso and its real easy and grows at a fair old rate produces nice pitchers.if you cant grow this one then there is no hope.
Cheers Julian

I grow both. They are very similar, except the N. ovata pitchers are more unusual in shape (I think a little bit cooler looking), but the N. bongso is a much faster grower.

Capslock

Hi
Here is my latest N. carunculata var. robust pitcher. This may or not have been re-named N. bongso depending on which site you look at
smile_m_32.gif

A very fast vigorous grower.

N.%20carunculata%20var.%20robust2.jpg

My N. ovata was tiny & unhealthy when I got it last year and has finally started to pitcher. Here is the first one not displaying a deformed lid. The next pitcher promises to a fair bit bigger.

other%20photos\N.%20ovata.jpg

So far a much slower grower, but hopefully as it settles in more will increase in speed.
smile.gif

cheers

bill

Hi Bill
Very nice.when was it renamed to Bongso?as its a different shape to mine maybe a different clone?
Cheers julian

If you ask me, carunculata and bongso are very different, and should be considered a subspecies at the most. Carunculata's leaves are much narrower, and it's pitchers take on a different shape and coloration. I certainly hope that when I get a new bongso that it is indeed a bongso, and not carunculata
smile.gif

Back