What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New nepenthes species

I have noticed that many want to get the awesome N. edwardsiana because it is not currently available in the trade. What other species has this reputation for being difficult to obtain? I understand N. hurrelliana is another sought after species, but was told is somewhat available now.

Any others?

Michael

I really want a N. treubiana!!!

Dang if anyone knows where to obtain this plant..... email or PM me...

N. aptera and N. hamata 'Bears Claw' (unoficial name for the super hairy, mammal like hamata).

N. aptera is available from two sources.

I really want a friggin edwardsiana and a bear claw.

treubiana ownz edwardsiana.... edwardsiana is all show and no grow.

Jess,
I'm with you on the treubiana. Real New Guinea treubiana is not in tc as far as I can tell. Maybe there's a plant in some obscure collection somewhere good for cuttings, but I haven't found it. There are some sumatrana out there labeled treubiana, but that was before taxonomists found them to be indeed two distinct species.

it would be nice if N. x Trusmadiensis was more widely availible

I don't want edwardsiana because it's impossible to get. I want it because it's the most wicked looking plant on the planet!

Until someone discovers another nep with huge teeth, the only other thing I would like to get a hold of would be a black truncata, and the new hamata.
Robin
smile.gif

I find this obsession with edwardsiana quite drole. Whilst it has prominent peristome teeth, slightly more than macrophylla but not much, it certainly does not beat villosa on the peristome stakes. Edwardsiana is very, very similar to macrophylla but is most easily distinguished by the shape of the pitcher rather than the peristome teeth. In my view, for whatever that is worth, villosa has the most prominent teeth on its peristome of this complex by a noticeable margin. But villosa is now commonly available, and very cheaply so. This appears to be somehow devalidating its currency. I have a feeling that this is myth-making arising from the fact that it is not commercially available. It's funny how rarity shapes perceptions of reality.

I think N. edwardsiana has way more larger and prominent protruding claws than N. villosa. Don't get me wrong, N. villosa is a magnificent plant, but difficult to grow and not exactly a fast plant. Just N. villosa has the many more "fine" teeth and are set in that protruding semi circles of claws!

Hamish,

To a certain extent, I concur with your assessment. However, after viewing the picture on page 82 of Clarke's Nepenthes of Borneo, I find it hard not to profess a passion for this species independent of its rarity!
laugh.gif

Jeff, what appeals to me about it is the peristome shape, its coloration (although some clones of villosa can attain the same deep red) and of course to a certain degree its rarity. It is a magnificent species, I just find the hysteria a bit perplexing, as both villosa and macrophylla are magnificent species, but their availability seems to detract from this.

Dustin, as for villosa being a difficult and slow growing plant, you will be disappointed to know that edwardsiana is just as slow a grower, so no panacea on the urges for that particular style of pitcher.

Hey, when the plants mentioned are villosa, macrophylla, or edwardsiana, there are no wrong answers! If I understand correctly that edwardsiana is easy in cultivation, then it would be a fantastic addition to the available nepenthes. "Can be grown by normal people" is a very good quality, one that will make N. macrophylla a very popular plant in the comming years.

N. villosa may be the most exteme, and commonly available (mine was downright cheap, though it was the size of a quarter), but it is difficult to grow and SLOW.

Capslock

I think we need a LARGE TEETH new post here!

I still believe that N. edwardsiana is a desirable species in its own right, not to make N. villosa or macrophylla less. But at the same time, N. lowii will always be tops on my list, but its readily available. I doubt I could ever own too much N. lowii!
N. edwardsiana would just be another dinosaur for my Jurassic Park collection. Maybe like adding T-Rex to my already existing Velociraptor (N. macrophylla) and Allosaurus (N. villosa) oh well, what's a prehistoric park without T-rex any how?

Enjoy yourself!

M

N. rafflesiana sarawak giant!!! The ultimate nepenthes!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lol @ June 21 2005,3:37)]N. rafflesiana sarawak giant!!!  The ultimate nepenthes!
Whats that like? Its not the same as those giants BE are selling I guess? Are there any links on this?
And has anyone mentioned the Giant red bicalcurata or is it just a myth now?
I tend to be more attracted to lowlanders so I would really like to just see treubiana
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]To a certain extent, I concur with your assessment.  However, after viewing the picture on page 82 of Clarke's Nepenthes of Borneo, I find it hard not to profess a passion for this species independent of its rarity!

That's the pic Jeff! Just awesome. No need to say more.
cool.gif

N RAFFLESIANA SARAWAK GIANT!?!?!?!?!?!
confused.gif
???!!!!!!
Now see what you did, I won't get any sleep until I have one!!!!!!
Does anyone know a site where one can be viewed?

Mike

MT does have N.hurreliana...I have never seen a photo of edwardsiana so I dont know about that...I think there still is a lot of undiscoverd species that will come into cultivation within a few years(thanks to the spreading interests in Nep)
I would very much like the cross between N.rajah and N.burbigae(dont know its name..
That would be My "Most Wanted"

Back