What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Temp drops!

I know a Grower here in Sweden who grows his highland neps..Not the ultra...At 25 C dat and 20 C night....he has grown em this way for a long time..So why does everyone say that they must get below 18 C night!!
confused.gif

When people list day/night temperature they are often listing the ideals for a particular group. This does not mean plants won't grow at all with less than ideal conditions. Many collections have a mixed number of plants from all different altitudes. Mountains don't suddenly go from lowland with one set of temperatures to intermediate with another set and then highland with another. It gets progressively cooler!

The trick is to find what temperatures work best for your own collection! This may not be true highland temperatures if your collection has some intermediate and lowland plants in it. Most of us can't seperate out all the different plants and give each individual one exactly the temperature range it would prefer.

btw for the nonmetric folks 25C = 77 F/20C = 68F

Tony

OK because I was told that I couldnt grow highland neps because my temp range is 27C(80F) day and 20C(68F) night
they told me that would die within 6 months...

The term highland is a very broad generalization. You would have to be more selective but there are plenty highland/intermediate/lowland that do fine with your intermediate temperatures.
Tony

Ok...can u suggest some of them?? exept alata and maxima...

Jeez, there are a lot of them from all three categories. In fact, the list that I wouldn't try is smaller than the list I would. Just stay away from the ultra highlanders like N. villosa, N. aristolochioides and the like, or the ultra-lowlanders like N. northiana. Also, just about any hybrid would do fine.

Capslock

ventricosa,veitchii, truncata (highlander),eymae and many more...
All of the above are, in my experience rather forgiving highlanders and easy to grow, even without a dramatic temp' drop like ultra highlanders would need.
And like Capslock said, hybrids would do fine.

Ok...thanks...But is it intermediates or??
Can I grow every intermediates that way??? because there is like 5 million hybrids that are intermediates....I would also like to know more pure speicies thx for those u mentioned...could u give me some more??

You can grow every intermediate that way...
and about species :sanguinea, ramispina(not sure), maybe pilosa, fallax,albomarginata and the list goes on.
you can determine the conditions the plant needs by the altitude it grows, highland, lowland and intermediate.

N. sanguinea
N. khasiana
N. ventricosa
N. sibuyanensis
N. burbidgeae
N. spectabilis
N. spathulata
and lots more..

Ok thank you very much!! you have been great
biggrin.gif

TyFone, my house is very close to your temps, i have a highland form of N. veitchii and N. bongso thriving. alot of species labeled as "highlands" such as N. bongso actually arent found all that high up and a drop at night down to 60-65 is fine. stay away from ultra highlands, decide on a species or two that really appeals to you(i like large flairing peristromes) and give them a shot. quite a few species and a large number of hybrids will do fine in your temps.

ok rattler but i was looking for Hilghland spiecis that survives a night temp at 20-21 C

Well, N. bongso and highland N. veitchii are two. Plus Tony's list.

N. hirsuta
N. diatas
N. macrophylla
N. mikei
N. glabrata
N. singalana

... are some more.

Capslock

Will N.diatas and N.macrophylla make it??? Diatas is a true highlander......so is macrophylla

Now i think your just overdoing it :p after all i have read I find it very hard to believe that so mny species will make that...But of course you are 5 people to says so...But one more question...does anyone exept rattler grow this plants like this? and if not how can you be sure that they will survive?

i grow macrophylla, diatis, hamata, & inermis with temps in the 70-80's (21-26c) day and 50-60's (10-15c) night. they are growing and pitchering great, but they are small plants that might be more tolerant of higher temperatures. as stated before the temp guides are just that "guides", neps will grow but maybe not flourish in temps outside their stated temp guidelines.

in all reality the differance between 18C and 20C would mean lil to a nep. if the nep can take nights at 18, it should handle nights at 20. i would try hybrids and species such as N. bongso, highland truncata(from what ive heard), ventricosa, amoung what Tony and everyone else listed. actually in my conditions which are intermidiate/highland(but no where near ultra highland) i have N. 'Ile de France' and N. bicalcarata x ampullaria which are lowlanders that are doing great, going "by the books" my house is to cool for them. most Neps are quite adaptable, stay away from ultra lowlanders and ultra highlanders and you should be fine other than a few picky individuals.

OK thank you again....But if I would want to build a cooling system...how could i do that?(cheapest and easiest)

that topic has been discussed in the forum before, the cheapest and easiest is frozen water bottles, i'm looking into building a cooling device with a store bought mini A/C unit.

Back